California drivers: DMV rejected solo carpool stickers app

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smiles33

I'm so frustrated! I bought my 2017 Audi A3 e-tron right before Halloween and got my CA plates right before Thanksgiving, at which point I immediately mailed in my application for the green solo driver carpool stickers. After 3 weeks of waiting, I get an envelope from CA DMV thinking it contains my solo carpool stickers. But no, instead, I get a letter saying my vehicle is "ineligible" for stickers and to call CA Air Resources Board to confirm what vehicles are authorized. I know the 2017 Audi A3 e-tron is the FIRST vehicle listed on the CARB website, but I called anyway to confirm it wasn't later removed.

The huffy woman at CARB who answered the phone told me that the website is accurate and I need to contact the DMV to dispute it. UGH. So I dashed off a quick note saying that the A3 etron IS eligible, the CARB website shows it is, and that I called CARB and they confirmed. It's sitting in the mail en route back to Sacramento. Now I have to wait another 3 weeks (or more given the holiday shutdown!)...

Just thought I'd warn other A3 owners in CA.

Thanks for the heads up! We had just picked out an nice Etron yesterday and were going to purchase it this weekend also expecting to get the green sticker relying on the CARB site.

My husband drives 150 miles a day but without the assurance of a sticker we will be better off putting the ~$50K into a sure thing like the BMW I3. Good luck with the DMV!

Too bad, it was a really nice car if only VW/AUDI realized how much this was costing them.

smiles33":39irtnd6 said:
I'm so frustrated! I bought my 2017 Audi A3 e-tron right before Halloween and got my CA plates right before Thanksgiving, at which point I immediately mailed in my application for the green solo driver carpool stickers. After 3 weeks of waiting, I get an envelope from CA DMV thinking it contains my solo carpool stickers. But no, instead, I get a letter saying my vehicle is "ineligible" for stickers and to call CA Air Resources Board to confirm what vehicles are authorized. I know the 2017 Audi A3 e-tron is the FIRST vehicle listed on the CARB website, but I called anyway to confirm it wasn't later removed.

The huffy woman at CARB who answered the phone told me that the website is accurate and I need to contact the DMV to dispute it. UGH. So I dashed off a quick note saying that the A3 etron IS eligible, the CARB website shows it is, and that I called CARB and they confirmed. It's sitting in the mail en route back to Sacramento. Now I have to wait another 3 weeks (or more given the holiday shutdown!)...

Just thought I'd warn other A3 owners in CA.
What I don't get is some cars that don't have license plates yet have green or white carpool stickers already! How is that possible?

When I leased the car in January, the green sticker program already reached its maximum. However, I turned in an application (without payment) anyways to be in the queue in case the legislators renew the program again, which they did. I got a letter from DMV about a week after the renewal vote to pay the fee to get the stickers, which I did and got the stickers about 2 weeks after that.
-Ben

miaposta":2hd88qx4 said:
Thanks for the heads up! We had just picked out an nice Etron yesterday and were going to purchase it this weekend also expecting to get the green sticker relying on the CARB site.

My husband drives 150 miles a day but without the assurance of a sticker we will be better off putting the ~$50K into a sure thing like the BMW I3. Good luck with the DMV!

Too bad, it was a really nice car if only VW/AUDI realized how much this was costing them.

miaposta: I wouldn't let this snafu stop you from purchasing an A3 etron. It is definitely on CARB's approved list, so what I'd do if I were a new owner is to print out CARB's website, highlight the 2017 Audi A3 etron, and include that with the sticker application. I think someone at the DMV was either lazy or didn't read the application or website carefully. As I said in my OP, the 2017 Audi A3 etron is the very first car on the approved list!

bruintoo: Go Bruins! I wish they gave us the stickers upon purchase so they'd be there as we drove the car off the lot. I've already paid probably $175 in bridge tolls, but it would have been only 1/2 of that (and the time saved!) if I had the carpool sticker from the get go.

My boss has a 2016 A3 etron and she, too, put in the application with the hope that the program would get expanded. In her case, Audi was delayed in getting the cars to port so they ran out of the green stickers before she actually got her car. In compensation, they gave her a fully loaded A3 but she had wanted the convenience of the carpool sticker given her commute (not 150 miles like miaposta, but probably a good 100 miles round trip).

smiles33":la3rr8xv said:

bruintoo: Go Bruins! I wish they gave us the stickers upon purchase so they'd be there as we drove the car off the lot. I've already paid probably $175 in bridge tolls, but it would have been only 1/2 of that (and the time saved!) if I had the carpool sticker from the get go.

My boss has a 2016 A3 etron and she, too, put in the application with the hope that the program would get expanded. In her case, Audi was delayed in getting the cars to port so they ran out of the green stickers before she actually got her car. In compensation, they gave her a fully loaded A3 but she had wanted the convenience of the carpool sticker given her commute (not 150 miles like miaposta, but probably a good 100 miles round trip).

Yep! UCLA, 1991. In my case it was not delayed getting to port. My e-tron WAS at port of LA for 4 months because of the TDI scandal and air resources board won't release them, and when I got it in January, the state maxed out of the green stickers allocation. Where I commute right now, there is an express lane with toll but free for carpoolers. The toll can be as much as $15 one way during rush hour! Having the stickers really helps.

-Ben

I want to pull my hair out! The CA DMV rejected my application AGAIN! This is despite the fact that the 2017 Audi A3 e-tron is the very first car on the list!!!! I am beyond frustrated. I have now printed out the CARB website and am going to include it as I send this back a second time. This time the person wrote "NOT ON LIST" on the top of my application. ARGH!

I went through my entire application, double-checked the VIN, and I cannot find any other errors. I have lost so many hours in rush hour traffic and spent over $100 already in extra bridge tolls over the past month since it was first denied. I'm not even counting the hours and dollars wasted since I didn't get the permit immediately upon purchase (which apparently some cars do get straight from the dealership?).

Have any other CA 2017 A3 owners received their stickers?

They are suppose to get them, and your DMV is making a mistake. I saw some article that governor signed some legislation to release some more.

For instance, this California based dealership gives you the sticker when they delivery the car:

https://pictures.dealer.com/s/stevenscreekaudiaoa/1058/fb506967e8bbeecf5e4c6d08cad971d5x.jpg
fb506967e8bbeecf5e4c6d08cad971d5x.jpg

Thanks, Octavius. I didn't realize some dealerships could get stickers before the license plates. It would have been worth buying from them and paying more just to have the damn stickers!

I contacted my salesperson and she hasn't heard of any problems. Then again, there isn't a high volume of 2017s being sold by her dealership.

I also called the DMV's special reg unit and was told to just print out the CARB website (listing the 2017 Audi A3 as the FIRST car on the eligible cars), highlight the Audi so the person processing applications sees it clearly, and re-send. So that's what I did. The DMV staffer tried to defend the mistake, saying, "Well, they're processing thousands of applications so they move very quickly...."

I'll update the thread if I eventually get my stickers.

smiles33":16nd4z24 said:
Thanks, Octavius. I didn't realize some dealerships could get stickers before the license plates. It would have been worth buying from them and paying more just to have the damn stickers!

I contacted my salesperson and she hasn't heard of any problems. Then again, there isn't a high volume of 2017s being sold by her dealership.

I also called the DMV's special reg unit and was told to just print out the CARB website (listing the 2017 Audi A3 as the FIRST car on the eligible cars), highlight the Audi so the person processing applications sees it clearly, and re-send. So that's what I did. The DMV staffer tried to defend the mistake, saying, "Well, they're processing thousands of applications so they move very quickly...."

I'll update the thread if I eventually get my stickers.

This confused me as well. I thought you need to be assigned a license plate before green stickers can be issued. However I have seen new Chevy Volts with dealer plates that have the green stickers. This angered me that some dealers had stickers at the time when we ran out of allotted green stickers earlier in 2016. I felt that those dealers were illegally hoarding them.

Just updating the thread to share that I STILL don't have my green decals, 3 months after purchase....

And I just got a letter today rejecting my application. Reason given was that it wasn't in the CARB eligible vehicle list. This is really annoying.

smiles33":1c1czyz5 said:
Just updating the thread to share that I STILL don't have my green decals, 3 months after purchase....
I got stickers for my 2016 promptly after submitting the application in October. Green HOV stickers are good until January 2019 unless the state deems otherwise, most likely due to HOV lane congestion. (HOV lanes are supposed to run at least at 45 MPH so there is some potential risk there).

I have no idea how a car could be delivered with HOV stickers but without license plates. The sticker application requires plate numbers be provided. Maybe some dealers have a way to get plate numbers early from the DMV?

jumper":q1my6ise said:
I have no idea how a car could be delivered with HOV stickers but without license plates. The sticker application requires plate numbers be provided. Maybe some dealers have a way to get plate numbers early from the DMV?

I've just assumed that people ordered the HOV stickers but haven't put the license plates on. I know a lot of people who drive around on the dealer paper plates for years. My neighbor is about finished with his 3 yr lease and he has not put his license plates on.

I am sorry to hear you are in the same boat, Egress. Per the DMV employee I talked to on the phone, print out the CARB website, highlight the 2017 Audi A3 etron, and write in the statement of facts field that you are requesting the green stickers for your eligible car.

jumper":287ukiyv said:
smiles33":287ukiyv said:
I got stickers for my 2016 promptly after submitting the application in October. Green HOV stickers are good until January 2019 unless the state deems otherwise, most likely due to HOV lane congestion. (HOV lanes are supposed to run at least at 45 MPH so there is some potential risk there).

My boss got her stickers but for her 2016 Audi A3 etron. I don't know of any 2017 CA owners with the decals yet and have been trying to figure out it ANYONE has had luck. I'm so annoyed!!

Maybe this will help...

I applied for the PG&E $500 EV incentive https://www.pge.com/en_US/residenti...icles.page?WT.mc_id=Vanity_cleanfuelrebate-ev and it was rejected. Turns out I had selected the "Audi A3 Sportback Etron" instead of the "A3 Etron." Although Sportback is on their EV vehicle list, maybe the VIN didn't match up. Anyway, it may matter what you call the car on the HOV sticker application.

FWIW, on my HOV Decal Application I entered:
"A3 E-tron" as the "Model."
"Original Decals" under the "I am Requesting" category
"TZEV" under the "Exhaust Standard > Green Decals" category, and,
"Plug In Hybrid" under "Motive Power > Green Decals."

That, the license plate number, Driver's license numbers, and the VIN got it done.

I have a 2016 and I've been waiting for about 2 months now. The check hasn't been cleared. I'm thinking of just sending in another application just in case it was lost.

jumper":1l4sx1tz said:
Maybe this will help...

I applied for the PG&E $500 EV incentive https://www.pge.com/en_US/residenti...icles.page?WT.mc_id=Vanity_cleanfuelrebate-ev and it was rejected. Turns out I had selected the "Audi A3 Sportback Etron" instead of the "A3 Etron." Although Sportback is on their EV vehicle list, maybe the VIN didn't match up. Anyway, it may matter what you call the car on the HOV sticker application.

That, the license plate number, Driver's license numbers, and the VIN got it done.

First, thank you so much for mentioning this PGE rebate--I had not heard of it and just applied! I did apply and get the CA Clean Air Rebate. Man, my Audi sales rep didn't mention either program!

I checked and I filled out my CA DMV decal application exactly as you wrote except I wrote Audi A3 e-tron (instead of with capital E-tron). I am really hoping that isn't the reason why two employees rejected my application. Sigh.

smiles33":7h1v9hnv said:
jumper":7h1v9hnv said:
Maybe this will help...

First, thank you so much for mentioning this PGE rebate--I had not heard of it and just applied! I did apply and get the CA Clean Air Rebate. Man, my Audi sales rep didn't mention either program!

I checked and I filled out my CA DMV decal application exactly as you wrote except I wrote Audi A3 e-tron (instead of with capital E-tron). I am really hoping that isn't the reason why two employees rejected my application. Sigh.

Smiles33, since you're a PG&E customer, look into the EV-B rate http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV.pdf. It's about $0.12 per kWh off-peak (focus on the "B" rate alternative). You'll need to install a second meter panel with dedicated EV outlets. It cost me about $1,000 in parts, permits, and a meter fee. (I put in three outlets for future proofing, though). You may need an electrician's cost and expertise beyond that if you're not happy making utility-side power connections and pulling your own permits with your local "Authority Having Jurisdiction," (AHJ)....

If you're interested, PM me and we can discuss further.

I am going through this too. Got my DMV flush letter citing it's not on the list today. Bought car in November here in San Diego. Just sent a note to the dealership wondering if they put in the wrong vehicle info on my registration. Then I found this thread. I already got approved for my Clean Air rebate.. but I want the stickers more.

So, smiles33 how long has it been since you sent the note with website attached? Sort of wondering if I should do it as well or wait and see if your check gets cashed?

Also, I spelled it AUDI E-TRON fwiw

I still do not have my stickers. To recap:

- purchased right before Halloween (10/27/16 or so)
- received license plates right before Thanksgiving and immediately mailed in my application (11/22/16 or so)
- first rejection received 12/13/16, called CARB to confirm it's still on the approved card list and immediately put the appeal back in the mail on 12/14/16
- second rejection received 1/11/17, called DMV and per the agent's advice, printed out the CARB website, highlighted the Audi A3 e-tron, and mailed it back the next day
- still no word and it's now 2/8/17

It takes 3-4 weeks to get rejections, per my past 2 rejections. Since we're almost at 4 weeks, I am really hoping my stickers are coming. I've been checking my on-line bank account and the check (dated from November!) still hasn't been cashed.

jumper: I have solar PV panels on the roof so we're already on a special PG&E rate plan. I haven't compared the rates head-to-head, but it maximizes the return on the "peak" hour solar generation. Thus, I never charge my car during peak hours.

Back