Audi A3 E-tron Forum

It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: California drivers: DMV rejected solo carpool stickers app
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:16 pm 

I'm so frustrated! I bought my 2017 Audi A3 e-tron right before Halloween and got my CA plates right before Thanksgiving, at which point I immediately mailed in my application for the green solo driver carpool stickers. After 3 weeks of waiting, I get an envelope from CA DMV thinking it contains my solo carpool stickers. But no, instead, I get a letter saying my vehicle is "ineligible" for stickers and to call CA Air Resources Board to confirm what vehicles are authorized. I know the 2017 Audi A3 e-tron is the FIRST vehicle listed on the CARB website, but I called anyway to confirm it wasn't later removed.

The huffy woman at CARB who answered the phone told me that the website is accurate and I need to contact the DMV to dispute it. UGH. So I dashed off a quick note saying that the A3 etron IS eligible, the CARB website shows it is, and that I called CARB and they confirmed. It's sitting in the mail en route back to Sacramento. Now I have to wait another 3 weeks (or more given the holiday shutdown!)...

Just thought I'd warn other A3 owners in CA.

Post subject: Re: California drivers: DMV rejected solo carpool stickers a
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:26 pm 

Thanks for the heads up! We had just picked out an nice Etron yesterday and were going to purchase it this weekend also expecting to get the green sticker relying on the CARB site.

My husband drives 150 miles a day but without the assurance of a sticker we will be better off putting the ~$50K into a sure thing like the BMW I3. Good luck with the DMV!

Too bad, it was a really nice car if only VW/AUDI realized how much this was costing them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:10 am 

smiles33 wrote:
I'm so frustrated! I bought my 2017 Audi A3 e-tron right before Halloween and got my CA plates right before Thanksgiving, at which point I immediately mailed in my application for the green solo driver carpool stickers. After 3 weeks of waiting, I get an envelope from CA DMV thinking it contains my solo carpool stickers. But no, instead, I get a letter saying my vehicle is "ineligible" for stickers and to call CA Air Resources Board to confirm what vehicles are authorized. I know the 2017 Audi A3 e-tron is the FIRST vehicle listed on the CARB website, but I called anyway to confirm it wasn't later removed.

The huffy woman at CARB who answered the phone told me that the website is accurate and I need to contact the DMV to dispute it. UGH. So I dashed off a quick note saying that the A3 etron IS eligible, the CARB website shows it is, and that I called CARB and they confirmed. It's sitting in the mail en route back to Sacramento. Now I have to wait another 3 weeks (or more given the holiday shutdown!)...

Just thought I'd warn other A3 owners in CA.

What I don't get is some cars that don't have license plates yet have green or white carpool stickers already! How is that possible?

When I leased the car in January, the green sticker program already reached its maximum. However, I turned in an application (without payment) anyways to be in the queue in case the legislators renew the program again, which they did. I got a letter from DMV about a week after the renewal vote to pay the fee to get the stickers, which I did and got the stickers about 2 weeks after that.
-Ben

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:32 pm 

miaposta wrote:
Thanks for the heads up! We had just picked out an nice Etron yesterday and were going to purchase it this weekend also expecting to get the green sticker relying on the CARB site.

My husband drives 150 miles a day but without the assurance of a sticker we will be better off putting the ~$50K into a sure thing like the BMW I3. Good luck with the DMV!

Too bad, it was a really nice car if only VW/AUDI realized how much this was costing them.

miaposta: I wouldn't let this snafu stop you from purchasing an A3 etron. It is definitely on CARB's approved list, so what I'd do if I were a new owner is to print out CARB's website, highlight the 2017 Audi A3 etron, and include that with the sticker application. I think someone at the DMV was either lazy or didn't read the application or website carefully. As I said in my OP, the 2017 Audi A3 etron is the very first car on the approved list!

bruintoo: Go Bruins! I wish they gave us the stickers upon purchase so they'd be there as we drove the car off the lot. I've already paid probably $175 in bridge tolls, but it would have been only 1/2 of that (and the time saved!) if I had the carpool sticker from the get go.

My boss has a 2016 A3 etron and she, too, put in the application with the hope that the program would get expanded. In her case, Audi was delayed in getting the cars to port so they ran out of the green stickers before she actually got her car. In compensation, they gave her a fully loaded A3 but she had wanted the convenience of the carpool sticker given her commute (not 150 miles like miaposta, but probably a good 100 miles round trip).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:53 pm 

smiles33 wrote:

bruintoo: Go Bruins! I wish they gave us the stickers upon purchase so they'd be there as we drove the car off the lot. I've already paid probably $175 in bridge tolls, but it would have been only 1/2 of that (and the time saved!) if I had the carpool sticker from the get go.

My boss has a 2016 A3 etron and she, too, put in the application with the hope that the program would get expanded. In her case, Audi was delayed in getting the cars to port so they ran out of the green stickers before she actually got her car. In compensation, they gave her a fully loaded A3 but she had wanted the convenience of the carpool sticker given her commute (not 150 miles like miaposta, but probably a good 100 miles round trip).

Yep! UCLA, 1991. In my case it was not delayed getting to port. My e-tron WAS at port of LA for 4 months because of the TDI scandal and air resources board won't release them, and when I got it in January, the state maxed out of the green stickers allocation. Where I commute right now, there is an express lane with toll but free for carpoolers. The toll can be as much as $15 one way during rush hour! Having the stickers really helps.

-Ben

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:51 pm 

I want to pull my hair out! The CA DMV rejected my application AGAIN! This is despite the fact that the 2017 Audi A3 e-tron is the very first car on the list!!!! I am beyond frustrated. I have now printed out the CARB website and am going to include it as I send this back a second time. This time the person wrote "NOT ON LIST" on the top of my application. ARGH!

I went through my entire application, double-checked the VIN, and I cannot find any other errors. I have lost so many hours in rush hour traffic and spent over $100 already in extra bridge tolls over the past month since it was first denied. I'm not even counting the hours and dollars wasted since I didn't get the permit immediately upon purchase (which apparently some cars do get straight from the dealership?).

Have any other CA 2017 A3 owners received their stickers?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:19 pm 

They are suppose to get them, and your DMV is making a mistake. I saw some article that governor signed some legislation to release some more.

For instance, this California based dealership gives you the sticker when they delivery the car:

https://pictures.dealer.com/s/stevenscreekaudiaoa/1058/fb506967e8bbeecf5e4c6d08cad971d5x.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:27 am 

Thanks, Octavius. I didn't realize some dealerships could get stickers before the license plates. It would have been worth buying from them and paying more just to have the damn stickers!

I contacted my salesperson and she hasn't heard of any problems. Then again, there isn't a high volume of 2017s being sold by her dealership.

I also called the DMV's special reg unit and was told to just print out the CARB website (listing the 2017 Audi A3 as the FIRST car on the eligible cars), highlight the Audi so the person processing applications sees it clearly, and re-send. So that's what I did. The DMV staffer tried to defend the mistake, saying, "Well, they're processing thousands of applications so they move very quickly...."

I'll update the thread if I eventually get my stickers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:24 pm 

smiles33 wrote:
Thanks, Octavius. I didn't realize some dealerships could get stickers before the license plates. It would have been worth buying from them and paying more just to have the damn stickers!

I contacted my salesperson and she hasn't heard of any problems. Then again, there isn't a high volume of 2017s being sold by her dealership.

I also called the DMV's special reg unit and was told to just print out the CARB website (listing the 2017 Audi A3 as the FIRST car on the eligible cars), highlight the Audi so the person processing applications sees it clearly, and re-send. So that's what I did. The DMV staffer tried to defend the mistake, saying, "Well, they're processing thousands of applications so they move very quickly...."

I'll update the thread if I eventually get my stickers.

This confused me as well. I thought you need to be assigned a license plate before green stickers can be issued. However I have seen new Chevy Volts with dealer plates that have the green stickers. This angered me that some dealers had stickers at the time when we ran out of allotted green stickers earlier in 2016. I felt that those dealers were illegally hoarding them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:49 am 

Just updating the thread to share that I STILL don't have my green decals, 3 months after purchase....