Getting to actually test drive in South Western Ontario

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iang

Hi all,
I'm looking at PHEV's and the A3 e-tron is a front runner for me. The problem is that I have never actually seen, let alone driven one. Dealer in my area -Kitchener- says they have one coming in soon for a buyer, but I won't get to touch it (I can understand).

I'll be doing a test drive of sportback non e-tron but before making the plunge really want to take it for a spin and experience the electric driving aspect.

Anyone else find themselves in a similar situation, any recommendations?

Hi Iang,

I actually ordered my UK e-tron company car untested and unseen, I did not even look at the other A3 models!

This might seem a bit cavalier but there really was no other PHEV option, the MB C350e was my preferred choice but MB had closed the order book as had VW for the Golf. We can't order Asian brands so the Prius was also not an option. GM were also not taking new orders for the Volt/Ampera which I was replacing. The only other "live" option was the i3 but that has a puny ICE and looks terrible. Hence the Audi.

I've had it for ten weeks, driven 5,000 miles and I am really pleased with it. It drives much like a standard ICE auto. With my Volt you really new that you were driving an electric car but the Audi hides all the tech and you just drive it. The battery range is nowhere near as good as the Volt but is still good enough for my regular commute to the office, for longer trips I play with the settings a little to try to ensure that I use the battery in 30mph town driving rather than 70mph cruising, but you don't really need to do that because it defaults to hybrid drive when the battery is low anyway and does all the optimisation for you.

Good luck with your decision.
Andy

Thanks for the insight Andy. It seems difficult to get a test drive on a rare vehicle like this.

I have only owned ICE vehicles but am sold on the idea of PHEV'S. The electric range is of little concern to me, this is mainly my work commute vehicle and covers my drive perfectly. However I do need to be able to travel to the cottage if needed so also need an ICE.

Looked at the Prius PHEV but am not a fan of it, or Toyota's interiors at all. That really doesn't leave any other options on the market that fit my list of requirements.

So, it looks like I'll be in the same situation, test driving as I leave the lot with it. But the great reviews I'm reading give me reassurance of the e-tron's capabilities.

Ian

FYI for anyone else in this area and situation, I was able to get a test drive at Audi Uptown in Markham. It has gone a long way in helping me with my decision to buy the Etron.

The new Audi KW also got an E-Tron very recently. For anyone interested, it's a nice facility they just built too.

Back