Platinum Warranty in Canada?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverdawg

Hello, I just purchased an Etron and has been a pleasure so far. Can anyone give me their opinion on the Platinum extended warranty? I know that typically these warranties are shunned, but this is through Audi, not a third party. I do intend to keep the car beyond the 4-yr warranty and mechanical coverage on the car and hybrid systems seems like a good gamble ($2800/100,000km). I am impressed by what is covered and something is certain to go wrong as the car ages. Would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

Correction- It is a third party warranty from Fidelity Warranty (not sure why I couldn't get a straight answer from the dealer on this). Still seems like a good deal.

I took the AudiCare offered by Audi directly, but it is a service package covering the first 75-80k km, not a warranty.

I bought the extended warranties on a number of new vehicles from the 1980's through 2005, but finally realized that quality was improving to the point that I was getting no value from the extended warranty. I have not taken the extended warranty for my last five new vehicles, including the A3 e-tron. I have not regretted this approach so far.

Part of my rule was "never buy a new vehicle in its first two years on the market" as it takes that long for minor deficiencies in a new model to be discovered, replacement part(s) to be designed and manufactured, and put into production. I've sort of broken that rule with the e-tron, but rationalized it with the knowledge that it has been on the European market for two years. :D

Thank you for your comment; I found it reassuring. I ended up not getting in the warranty, in part because I doubt I'll be in Canada after a few more years.

I also was concerned about buying a new model vehicle and used a similar justification as yours, i.e., seems to be doing well in Europe. Not only was this a new model, but the first time I ever bought a brand new car, and a "luxury" one at that. Thanks again!

The pricing seems to vary a lot. I live in the US and it was $4800 for 10 years/100k miles. This was at a discount down from $6500. Seems outrageous. I rolled the dice. Can't you always add a warranty later if you decide?

In the US, the battery packs are warrantied for 8 years, so that's one potential expense that doesn't need extended coverage. I declined the third party package.

I decided to lease (with Audi Care pro-rated for the 3 years) to try to avoid any hidden problems with new tech, and also to see what might be coming along in 3 years (Allroad with a 50 mile battery?).

I typically don't get extended warranties but I did for my Ford Escape Hybrid when I bought it back in 2007. Came in handy when the battery cooling system went on the fritz during vacation. They fixed it for free and gave me a free loaner (which Ford dealers typically didn't do back then). Otherwise, I've not purchased the extended warranties.

Back