Better solution for charge port cover?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asa3

So far, the thing that bugs me the most about this car is fiddling with the rubber charge port cover after a charge - in a dark garage, it's taken me as long as a minute to find the grooves and get it in.

There must be a better way! Has anyone thought about removing (probably a bad idea?) or modifying/replacing that cover with something that's easier to use?

No solution. You'll get used to it eventually.
I'm sure it took all e-tron owners a bit of time. I know I did.

I agree, it took a bit of time to get used to the correct angle of the SAE J1772 plug, but now I can do it blind no problem. Early on I had considered rigging a motion sensed LED on the port -I saw on some forum somewhere that a solution had been devised by an owner for their vehicle (I dont think it was necessarily an etron). But in the end, I can make due. It's one of those refinements maybe they'll build in down the line.

Ian

I got used to it and it doesn't bother me now. But a lighted port would have been the way to go (like the Volt and I'm sure many others).

Putting the rubber cover back on every time is absurd - after 5 years of electric car driving I have never had a problem just leaving the cover in the glove compartment where it belongs. With limited range requiring the car to be always plugged in I can barely be bothered to slide the rings shut half the time - give me a regular fuel door like our e-golf please!

Back