VCDS/OBDeleven mods

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arne

And so it begins. Over the holidays I got the OBDeleven dongle and a cheap android 7" tablet to go with. Still carefully exploring right now, trying to learn what I might be able to do. My OBDeleven came with 210 free credits, which is quite a lot considering most "apps" only cost 10 credits.

3 changes so far, two using the pre-configured "apps", one adaptation change. Changed the convenience turn signal from 3 flashes to 4 (via app); disabled the seatbelt warning chime (app); and turned off the "activation" chime in Park Assist.

Still looking for a couple other bits, how to enable a warning for freezing temperatures (like my TDI and BMW had), and possibly to see if I can split the rear turn signals and brake lights into different LED segments so that brakes are more noticeable to cars following me.

Would also like to disable the chime on passenger airbag status. Haven't seen a way to do that yet.

arne":55g35w9i said:
And so it begins. Over the holidays I got the OBDeleven dongle and a cheap android 7" tablet to go with. Still carefully exploring right now, trying to learn what I might be able to do. My OBDeleven came with 210 free credits, which is quite a lot considering most "apps" only cost 10 credits.

3 changes so far, two using the pre-configured "apps", one adaptation change. Changed the convenience turn signal from 3 flashes to 4 (via app); disabled the seatbelt warning chime (app); and turned off the "activation" chime in Park Assist.

Still looking for a couple other bits, how to enable a warning for freezing temperatures (like my TDI and BMW had), and possibly to see if I can split the rear turn signals and brake lights into different LED segments so that brakes are more noticeable to cars following me.

Would also like to disable the chime on passenger airbag status. Haven't seen a way to do that yet.

Auto open/close of windows/moonroof with key fob is always handy.

Getting the dashboard screen to default to down at startup would be nice.

So would making the selected driving mode sticky (i.e., EV, hybrid, hold, charge-on 2016's) would be nice also.

Adaptive lights system fault

So, I finally started playing with my OBDeleven and managed to throw this fault, which I can't clear. I think I've got everything back to basics, but obviously not.

Can one of you do a scan of your headlights and show me what the "correct" settings are? I would be much obliged.

BTW, I was messing with them because I noticed after my 5k service and software update, my headlights no longer tracked my steering to the left or right. I liked that feature and was trying to turn it back on, but messed up. Please help get me back to normal.

rfortson":621o48r8 said:

So, I finally started playing with my OBDeleven and managed to throw this fault, which I can't clear. I think I've got everything back to basics, but obviously not.

Can one of you do a scan of your headlights and show me what the "correct" settings are? I would be much obliged.

BTW, I was messing with them because I noticed after my 5k service and software update, my headlights no longer tracked my steering to the left or right. I liked that feature and was trying to turn it back on, but messed up. Please help get me back to normal.

Yeah, you didn't have to use OBD tool for that. You just go to the MMI settings and set adaptive lights back to on. That's what happened after my 15K service since they had to do recall service for the side marker lights. :)
-Benjamin

Is your car a premium plus? I don't think my car has adaptive lights, they auto level, but no side to side, don't track the steering. I miss that as the bi-xenons in my Golf did that. My checking didn't seem to show adaptive lighting as an option in my Premium.

bruintoo":2tc29vum said:
rfortson":2tc29vum said:

Yeah, you didn't have to use OBD tool for that. You just go to the MMI settings and set adaptive lights back to on. That's what happened after my 15K service since they had to do recall service for the side marker lights. :)
-Benjamin

NOW you tell me! ;) I was itching to use the tool for something. Didn't mean to use it to screw up my lights.

arne":2tc29vum said:
Is your car a premium plus? I don't think my car has adaptive lights, they auto level, but no side to side, don't track the steering. I miss that as the bi-xenons in my Golf did that. My checking didn't seem to show adaptive lighting as an option in my Premium.

Yeah Arne, I have a Premium Plus. It definitely tracked my steering before the side marker light update. I just noticed that it didn't do that this weekend.

I'll go into the MMI and re-enable adaptive lights back on and see what that does.

So, yeah, Adaptive Lights were disabled in the MMI, so I re-enabled them. (Thanks Brian!) However, I still get the fault message. If anyone has the default settings for me, I'd appreciate it. I went back through my history and tried to reset everything to original, but that didn't work. I'm obviously missing something.

Did you save the basic settings after restoring them? I went in to simply look at my light settings to see if perhaps I could enable the adaptive lights (nothing there to enable on a Premium with bi-xenon), and threw a fault code after getting out. Apparently if you do anything in the headlights you may need to save the settings afterward so that the car knows what the defaults should be. OBDeleven has a 10 credit app to do that, or you can find that setting and enable the save routine manually.

This may or may not apply to your car with adaptive LED lights.

arne":3aqp3o3f said:
Did you save the basic settings after retiring them? I went in to simply look at my light settings to see if perhaps I could enable the adaptive lights (nothing there to enable on a Premium with bi-xenon), and threw a fault code after getting out. Apparently if you do anything in the headlights you may need to save the settings afterward so that the car knows what the defaults should be. OBDeleven has a 10 credit app to do that, or you can find that setting and enable the save routine manually.

This may or may not apply to your car with adaptive LED lights.

Interesting, thanks Arne. I didn't know that. I'll take a look at that as it sounds like that may be my problem. I'm pretty sure I set everything back to original settings, but I didn't do any explicit save to make it the default.

Need to dig into this more before I bugger something else up.

EDIT - Thanks Arne, that was it. Works fine now.

BTW I'm wondering why I bought the Pro version if I still have to use credits for apps. Need to see how to gather more credits. Not really into paying for software as I go. I prefer to buy it up front and be done with it. (And yes, I do prefer to pay for my software.)

What kind of light settings did you all get access to? I'm thinking of picking up OBDeleven to mess around with the LED lighting. Wish I could preview what I can tweak before I buy it.

There are numerous lighting things available. Some are easily accessed via their "app" system, others are harder to figure out since much of the long coding is untranslated from German.

I haven't changed too much yet in lighting, as I don't want to change coding until after the parking light recode recall is done, which will be later this month.

Since my last post, I've done a few more bits. I was able to enable the passenger mirror dip on reverse via OBDeleven app. I was actually surprised that this worked on my Premium trim, I've read lots of posts elsewhere about struggles to enable this, but the app on the recent versions of the tool worked perfectly.

Side note - you can get 5 free credits per day by going to your profile, select Get credits, and then get free credit. You need to let it load an ad for one credit, so you have to do it 5 times daily. Doesn't take long to build a fair surplus of credits if you remember to go in daily.

Tonight I went into the lighting adaptations and successfully reconfigured my rear lights to work like those in Europe. The turn signals and brake lights are no longer combined, the upper light bars are the turn signals, and the center of the outer light is now the brake light. Would be better if I could also change the turn signals to amber from red, but that appears to be beyond my coding ability. :D

arne":2zc8rno2 said:
Since my last post, I've done a few more bits. I was able to enable the passenger mirror dip on reverse via OBDeleven app. I was actually surprised that this worked on my Premium trim, I've read lots of posts elsewhere about struggles to enable this, but the app on the recent versions of the tool worked perfectly.

Side note - you can get 5 free credits per day by going to your profile, select Get credits, and then get free credit. You need to let it load an ad for one credit, so you have to do it 5 times daily. Doesn't take long to build a fair surplus of credits if you remember to go in daily.

Tonight I went into the lighting adaptations and successfully reconfigured my rear lights to work like those in Europe. The turn signals and brake lights are no longer combined, the upper light bars are the turn signals, and the center of the outer light is now the brake light. Would be better if I could also change the turn signals to amber from red, but that appears to be beyond my coding ability. :D

Cool stuff, arne! I've not played with mine in a while, but this might get me to start messing with it again. I also want to play around with my wife's Jetta.

Has anyone tried to enable CarPlay? Or does that somehow require different hardware..

I'm pretty sure that isn't possible. I believe it requires a special ROM or something like that. It is not something that is already present but not turned on.

Has anybody successfully coded gear display indicator? i.e. D4 instead of D, S3 instead of S? The instructions for regular cars do not seem to work for the e-tron. Mine is a 2018 with virtual cockpit.

Back