Bosch charger housing

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idk2016

On various forums, people have been inquiring about the housing for the charger that ships with the A3 etron. Bosch doesn't seem to know how to supply one,and points owners back to the dealer,vice versa.

I found,and like the Wall Mounting Bracket for Portable Charging Stations, EVR3. I think will fit the Bosch charger. I cannot seem to locate anything similar for North America. This is great for home use,and for multi unit dwellings where a NEMA outlet's all you'll get to charge your car.

http://www.e-station-store.com/en/evr-a ... -evr1.html

I saw somebody that had their charger mounted on the wall using the plastic coated hooks that screw into the wood, like the type you'd hang your bike from. They had one below and one above that basically held it in place on the wall. Seemed like a cheap/easy solution for use in the garage.

Someone with CAD skills and an e-tron designed custom brackets for the charger. He made the design such that the brackets can be printed using a 3D printer. We had two made for 85 dollars CAD. Still waiting for the car to be delivered, however.

mtrodgers99":2egabzui said:
Someone with CAD skills and an e-tron designed custom brackets for the charger. He made the design such that the brackets can be printed using a 3D printer. We had two made for 85 dollars CAD. Still waiting for the car to be delivered, however.
Do you have a referral for the drawings/finished product? I just got my 240V outlets installed.

jumper":1tqj81o3 said:
mtrodgers99":1tqj81o3 said:
Do you have a referral for the drawings/finished product? I just got my 240V outlets installed.

Not 3d printed, but here's one that someone is selling. I didn't buy one because I bought a Chargepoint outdoor charger. But another option -- http://www.boalsdesigns.com/

:D Thank you Egress! I kept asking WHY I needed a fancy charging set up at my house if I could plug in the charger that Audi provided... which I do not keep in my car because it won't be used. I'd rather spend the money on base carrier bars.

This is an elegant solution if you ask me. Ordered.

I was lucky to have a neighbour who's an electrician. I just bought the hardware, he told me how to run the cable and he did the hook-up.
I now have a 240v plug in the garage where I plug in either the Audi or my ChargePoint unit.
It only took my neighbour 30 to 45 minutes to complete.

I had an electrician (who had done reasonable work on our house previously) quote me $1500 to put in a 240v outlet in my garage. Five feet from the main panel feeding our house. He did it with a straight face, too. After questioning him, he finally conceded that he could do it for $600 but I wouldn't get the "guarantee". I asked him what the electrical codes were for if I needed a "guarantee". I also told him I'd think about it.

And I did, for about 30 seconds.

I'm still using the 110v outlet in my garage right now, but I'm going to put in a 240v outlet one day. The convenience would be nice.

I'd say KEEP ASKING, for a price, or if friends know a good/reasonable electrician. It makes a big difference if you can charge in 2 hours more or less. You can do more than one trip in a day because it's quick.

I was lucky that a former co-worker was willing to come over and do it. I asked him how much when he was done and he said "well, the parts were $40". So I gave him $100 and count my blessings.

I called a company called Electrika in the Montreal area. Their electrician quoted a price of about $550 to put the NEMA 6-50 socket in our garage. Our electrical panel is in our basement. Unfortunately, our electrical panel could not support the extra draw. As well, our 35 year-old panel was outdated and no longer up to code. After getting a second opinion, we had a new panel installed.

Back