Lowering and Sport Suspension

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5x112

Just finished putting Eibach sport suspension I ordered from Germany on my Etron. Vastly improved handling and body roll. Don't know why Audi does not offer this on the car (or why Eibach does not sell the suspension in the US), as the car weighs 400 lbs more than a regular a3 and REALLY needs stiffer springs and lower center of gravity. The ride comfort has not changed, but it is much more fun to drive.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1h0CT1S3FuTWWhRVmcyLTdobTA/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1h0CT1S3FuTWlZkdW40ODR4WjQ
open

Wow, very sharp!

On a different note, can you tell me what brand tint and the % light transmission is on your car? I want to tint too, but am unsure about what to choose with the myriad of options out there. Thank you.

And on yet another note (we like your car), how did you get that front plate? My car has the CA front plate mount on it, which I imagine would be easy to replace. How did you get yours?

Thanks

The plate is from customeuropeanplates.com, I ordered the holder/plate combo. You can choose many other sites that have custom messages and all different countries.
There is a thread on here where I talk about how to remove the silly "delete" plastic for states without license plates, but its just 4 tabs you reach through the grill to release. I'm glad you like it!

Care to shed some light on the wheel & tire setup you currently have? I really dig the look. Any change in avg MPG numbers compare to stock wheel & tire?

Hi!.. thanks for the compliment.
The wheels are Miro 18 inch, 8.5" width, 111's, with a 45 offset. the tires are 225/40 pirellis (the same size as the stock etron with 18 inch wheels, so MPG is the same, but they are stretched a little because of the wider wheel).
Note the stock wheels are a higher offset and thinner, so these wheels go closer to the edge of the fender, but do not rub.

Thought you might like to see a before and after, for those considering putting new wheels on their car. Looks like the 2017 is even higher than mine started out. The handling changes are equally profound.

open

Hey, did you research sway bars at all? I've just ordered an e-tron, and I'd like to improve handling right away. Not sure I'll lower it, but I'd like to do sway bars either way.

Well... I did look into sway bars, because I felt the pre-lowered handling needed them. Once it was lowered, the Etron transformed and I didn't need them. Congrats on your car order. I suspect that once you see how high the car is and how much body roll there is, you will want to lower it. Even if you do get sway bars. I personally think sway bars are expensive overkill on this type of car unless you don't plan to lower it and stiffen the suspension.
P.S. Many of Audi's marketing materials show the Etron with oversized wheels and a lowered look, so let us know what you decide to do!

I opted for the 18" wheels so that might change the dynamics a bit. I agree that in person they aren't as low as in marketing pictures. They also might offer a proper S-line sport package with suspension over in Europe.

I wonder what MK7 GTI parts will swap over to the e-tron? Might be able to get a deal on some lightly used stock Springs from someone who upgraded theirs.

Yes, 18 inch wheels help alot with handling. I drove both the 16 inch and 18 and there is a difference. Audi does not offer an Etron S-line package that includes suspension anywhere. Even though the press has chimed in that due to the extra weight of the car, it could really use it. Don't fall for other parts. The Golf GTE and the Etron are the only ones close (essentially sister models). There is no sport suspension avail on the GTE either. Eibach and H&R are good options, so why risk it (they are not that pricey). Dropping the suspension (labor) is your wild card.

Okay I finally finished out this wheels and suspension stuff....... Yeeeeesh....

a3_etron_1_zpscfa92ksn.jpg

a3_etron_2_zpsexmjqkzb.jpg

a3_etron_3_zps0nn7255o.jpg

I went with the 3SDM 0.04's & the same Eibach springs.. <3

Exploring the idea of tuning now... ;)

Has anyone bought the Bilstein B8 Performance Plus dampers and Eibach lowering springs package? I like the lowered look and would like to improve the handling as well. I am worried that just installing the Eibach springs wouldn't be enough.

Has anyone installed full coilovers for an e-tron?

Back