Audi A3 E-tron Forum

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: hitch for bike carrier
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:12 am 

11thIndian wrote:
Do we know if the CURTIS hitch that you guys are using on your 2016 A3s works on the 2017 as well? I seem to remember reading there were some differences...

I had it on my 2017 and it barely cleared the sides of the exhaust. Way too close for my liking, so removed it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:52 pm 

Ferster wrote:
11thIndian wrote:
Do we know if the CURTIS hitch that you guys are using on your 2016 A3s works on the 2017 as well? I seem to remember reading there were some differences...

I had it on my 2017 and it barely cleared the sides of the exhaust. Way too close for my liking, so removed it.

But that appears to be the same way it fits on my 2016, or perhaps better. Mine presses against the muffler all the time. As I have noted previously, this is not ideal, but I've seen no ill effects so far, and I do use the trailer a lot.

Actually, the hitch I had on my mk6 Golf TDI also had some clearance issues with the exhaust, and it was designed for the car. I suspect that exhaust clearance is a bit variable from car to car.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:54 pm 

Finished the install on my 2016 eTron. Installing the Curt 11412 hitch went very smoothly, bolt holes an exact match and easy to access. I lowered the exhaust just to give me a bit more room to fish the bolts into place and tighten everything up. As arne says, the hitch touches the exhaust at two spots, but does not obstruct or push the exhaust out of its normal position. Notably, it was easy to raise & screw the muffler back into place. Considering how rigidly the muffler and entire exhaust line is held in place on the eTron, it seemed unlikely that the muffler was doing much bouncing to begin with and doubtful it would be rattling against the hitch. And, indeed -- as arne has reported -- driving the car, even on our bumpy dirt roads in Vermont, has not revealed any rattling or new noises, no detectable adverse effects.

I also discoversed that the Curt website actually recommends the 56146 powered 3-to-2 wire trailer light converter for the eTron. Contrary to arne's advice above (though much appreciated), this time around I tapped the stop/brake wire from the converter into the (blue w/ green tracer) wire that feeds the high-mount brake light since that signal isn't shared with any of the turn signals. For anyone who winds up doing the wiring, here are the wires on the eTron I tapped into:

Stop/brake = blue w/ green tracer (found in the wire bundle & flexible rubber conduit/gasket that connects the hatch to the body of the car -- left of the hinge, just above the anchor point for the lift piston)

Left turn = Gray coming out of the eTron left rear light cluster

Right turn = Brown w/ red tracer coming out of the eTron right rear light cluster

Tail / running = Brown w/ red tracer coming out of the eTron left rear light cluster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:54 am 

Leaning towards getting a custom hitch made by Vangro Welding & Machine Service Ltd.

Here is a thread detailing (with photos) one person's experience with having a custom hitch made for a different make/model car. The reviews of the company are very positive. The price was approx. $400

Does anyone have any experience or have heard of anyone having a custom hitch made for their A3 etron?

Edit:
Purpose of the hitch is for a bike rack only

Last edited by mustgofaster on Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:01 pm 

No experience, but a competent shop should be able to do it easily. It's not difficult, since the only problem with the Mk7 Golf/GTI hitch is muffler clearance. Everything else is fine.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:27 pm 

For the trailer wiring, what have people been using for the switched positive wire in the back of the eTron?

The negative there is a ground (brown) wiring cluster connected to the body on the left trunk behind the air compressor.

Thanks "hallsvt" for the rest of the wiring below:
    Stop/brake = blue w/ green tracer (left)
    Left turn = Gray (left)
    Right turn = Brown w/ red tracer (right)
    Tail / running = Brown w/ red tracer (left)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6