Audi A3 E-tron Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: hitch for bike carrier
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:04 pm 

Hey Everyone- I was doing some looking around the web and found a thread about people spotting A3 e-trons with hitches.

Another guy chimed in that he'd ordered his with a hitch in Spain. Here's the page that shows it as an available accessory.

http://www.audi.es/es/web/es/modelos/a3 ... orios.html

I looked on the UK site and see that the bike carrier is listed as an option, but can't find the hitch.

If these things are available worldwide, then isn't there some way to get them here?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:51 pm 

You'd have to import one privately. You can't get them from Audi, the USA lawyers won't sign off on them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:36 am 

I guess the question is how to do that. Find an e-tron owner in Spain that's willing to get his dealership to order one?

I'd really love to get this bike thing sorted. Anyone who got the CURTIS VW hitch have any followup? My Audi dealership seems to be cool with doing some modification.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:16 am 

I've had my Curt hitch on the car for 7-8 months. I don't have a bike rack, I use it to tow a small utility trailer. (Keeps me from having to own a truck.) I towed the trailer yesterday, as it happens.

Yes, the two side plates touch the muffler. Spacers won't help that. But I've not seen any effects from it doing so. No rattles, clunks, squeaks or change in exhaust noise when running the ICE. No ill effects at all.

Is it proper or ideal that it interferes with the muffler? No, certainly not. Yes, I'd prefer it didn't. But since it seems to work fine as it is, I give it no further thought, and if I needed to do it again I would do so.

A last thought - I installed mine myself, if you need to have a shop install it you may want to sound them out ahead of time about how they feel about the hitch touching the muffler. Some shops may refuse to install it because of that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:57 am 

Thanks for the head's up arne. I've made it clear I want a hitch from the start- my guy there said that they do drill holes in the frames to put in hitches all the time, so they're certainly not adverse to things beyond basic installation. I know there was a hitch people were installing that did require drilling, but more cleanly cleared the muffler. Perhaps I should present them with both options and see how they want to go. The car is a lease so I want to make sure they're cool with whatever I do, though the likelihood of us buying this cars out are pretty good- but just in case... :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:40 pm 

Arne,

Can you share which wiring kit you used, brand (and model/part # if you remember)? I've been trying to get a Tekonsha TCI kit to work, but it's driving me crazy (testing/identifying the rear wires -- brake, LT, RT, tail -- with a circuit tester doesn't correspond to how the lights behave when put under load and/or connected simultaneously). It doesn't help that the brake and turn signals are combined. Besides the wiring kit you used, any tips you learned to get the trailer lights working correctly would be very much appreciated. Thanks, John

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:54 pm 

@hallsvt - I won't be a lot of detailed help, as I must admit I don't have the lights hooked up yet. The regulations here don't require lights on a trailer this small unless I'm towing after dark.

I did keep the Curt powered adapter box from the Golf TDI, and it should work. But even then, my experience will be different than most, as I used OBDeleven to reprogram my rear lights to separate the turn signals and brake lights. Mine are no longer combined.

However, knowing how these converters work, and assuming your lights are going to remain combined turn and brake, I can give you a hint or two. To make it work with your lights, you only need to tap three wires, one for the tail lights (either side is fine), and one for each turn signal. The turn signal leads from the converter box should tap into any of the combined brake/turn wires. (Each outer light will have two wires that are combined brake/turn, either wire is ok for this use.) Do not connect the brake lead(s) from the converter box at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:16 pm 

Thanks Arne. Your advice re hooking up the wires matches what I've even attempting. It's not really all that complicated, so I've been flummoxed by the way the lights have been acting. I've started to wonder whether it's something about the Tekonsha computer (controller box), so my next strategy is picking up a Curt wiring kit. Since so few folks are trying to put a tow bar on their eTrons (other than on this forum) there's nothing to be found on the net re hooking up trailer wires to an eTron. I'l let the forum know when I get it figured out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:33 pm 

I'm going to have a several week long break from my other project ('73 Porsche 914 going into paint shop), and hooking up the trailer lights is on my list of things I'd like to get done before the 914 comes back and I have to reassemble it. Since my lights are no longer North America standard, I will need to connect 4 wires to make it work - one tail (either side is fine), one brake (either side or even the center light), and a turn signal wire to both sides. Will try to remember wire colors and post back here when I do that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:14 pm 

Do we know if the CURTIS hitch that you guys are using on your 2016 A3s works on the 2017 as well? I seem to remember reading there were some differences...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next