Audi A3 E-tron Forum

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: hitch for bike carrier
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:38 am 

I'll try to get some photos up this weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:11 pm 

Hello all,

A little update. I received my Curt 11412 hitch today, so wanted to see how the fit worked by holding in place before adding the spacers. Getting the hitch in without dropping the exhaust was simple enough with two sets of hands. However, when holding in place over the holes, the hitch sides touched the edge of the exhaust at the curve part nearest the horizontal bar. It may be a case that the spacers will drop it just enough not to touch.

Jelhardt, is that what you found?

If the answer is yes, I will go ahead and attach to the car.

Thanks!
Ferster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:01 am 

jelhardt wrote:
I'll try to get some photos up this weekend.

THANKS for @rossman for dong the research for the Curt #11412,at least the 2016 has a solution.Odd how the 2017 required no mods.

@ferster , any pictures,updates? My Hidden Hitch 60368 almost one year later has worked great.I didn't want to mess with the heat shield.Instead, had my welder drill a hole on each side of the body frame to accommodate the fit.

http://imgur.com/zxObPK0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:00 pm 

Hello idk,

I may try this weekend to get the hitch on. Will follow up.

Ferster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:46 am 

Thanks for all the contributions above. Mine is a 2017 ETron Sportback and I too was quite disappointed in the lack of Audi USA support for a hitch mount for a bicycle rack. My 2012 TDI Sportback was recalled/returned and I really missed the bike rack. UHaul tech center in Phoenix offered to custom build a hitch but after several months wait I gave up and bought the Curt 11412. I got some help jacking up the back end of car about 6 inches and with jack stands and a creeper was quite easy to install with no need to trim or modify the vehicle in any way. The frame holes are obvious and easy to find.
HOWEVER, I would not say that the fit was good as it made significant contact with the muffler on both sides. I didn't want to risk damaging the exhaust so I "relieved" metal from the bracket until satisfactory clearance was achieved (3-4mm all around). This took probably 5 cycles of instal/remove/grind/paint until I was happy (my family was out of town). In one area I probably removed 15-20mm of metal which may represent 20-25% of the original bracket width. I think the bracket is very overbuilt but will need to monitor and reinforce as needed.
Overall, not a good bracket in my opinion unless you're ready to do some mods. This was about a 3-4 hour job for me and may require wielding reinforcements later on.
Maybe someone in Phoenix area can get on wait list for UHaul Tech Center to build custom hitch and then we can all buy one and instal in 30 minutes.

http://imgur.com/a/fpUCi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:34 pm 

A little update.

On my 2017 model (Canada), the Curt hitch touches both sides of the exhaust. I agree with ChrisO about this not being a viable option in its current format, so have removed. I certainly don't have the confidence of shaving off some of the hitch to make it fit.

Back to the drawing board for me!

Ferster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:06 pm 

Update on the Curt hitch. I will also be removing the hitch because the muffler is banging on the hitch every time we hit a bump, despite the 3mm clearance.

:D
UHAUL has scheduled me for a custom hitch that will then be the basis for a production model that can be bought from any UHAUL hitch center. They need my car for a week and then about 6 weeks later the production model will be available. I'll give them the Curt as a starting point - maybe it wasn't totally in vain.

I'll report back first week of May how it went

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:06 pm 

ChrisO wrote:
Update on the Curt hitch. I will also be removing the hitch because the muffler is banging on the hitch every time we hit a bump, despite the 3mm clearance.

:D
UHAUL has scheduled me for a custom hitch that will then be the basis for a production model that can be bought from any UHAUL hitch center. They need my car for a week and then about 6 weeks later the production model will be available. I'll give them the Curt as a starting point - maybe it wasn't totally in vain.

I'll report back first week of May how it went

Hey ChrisO,

I was wondering if you had any luck yet?

Regards
Ferster

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:07 am 

Well, UHaul needs the car for a week and I'm not really able to do that so I am going to keep my less than perfect hitch on and further modify it. The muffler is too wide for the bracket so I'm trimming more steel off the non-drive side and will reinforce.
If someone out there happens to live near Phoenix - contact UHaul through their hitch website and they'll get you in.
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:40 pm 

I take possession of my A3 on Friday- I read thru this thread hoping there'd be a resolution at this stage. not sure what I'm going to do about bikes if I can't get a hitch.

Dealer said their service dept has added hitched onto cars. If I gave them the Curt #11412, would they be able to modify it for install? The car is a lease, so I'd need them to do it otherwise I might be up the creek later.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next