Audi A3 E-tron Forum

It is currently Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: hitch for bike carrier
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:00 pm 

arne wrote:
Worth noting that TorkLift (EcoHitch) has told me that they would gladly build one if I want to take my car to them in Kent, WA. That could still be an option, although that is a full day's drive for me each way.

Oh, please post if you do make it out to TorkLift! Perhaps once they build one for you they can build another one and ship it? I used to live in Issaquah, WA, but now I live in San Diego, so it would be a bit of a drive for me to make it out there... ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:07 am 

bossman wrote:
Oh, please post if you do make it out to TorkLift! Perhaps once they build one for you they can build another one and ship it? I used to live in Issaquah, WA, but now I live in San Diego, so it would be a bit of a drive for me to make it out there... ;)
That would be the plan. If they get someone to volunteer their car as a test sample, then they can fine tune the design and add it to their normal offerings. But thus far, they haven't had an e-tron offered.

I'd like to do this, but realistically I don't see finding the time to get this done. We are talking a very minimum of 3 days for me counting travel. And that's assuming they can tweak an existing hitch design (like a Mk7 GTI) to fit fairly easily. If they have to design from scratch, they might need more than a single day to get it done, which means maybe a 4 day trip, 2 of them stuck in Kent with no car. This really needs to be done by someone fairly local to them, rather than one of us who live a day or more away.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:38 am 

arne wrote:
...I'd like to do this, but realistically I don't see finding the time to get this done. We are talking a very minimum of 3 days for me counting travel. And that's assuming they can tweak an existing hitch design (like a Mk7 GTI) to fit fairly easily. If they have to design from scratch, they might need more than a single day to get it done, which means maybe a 4 day trip, 2 of them stuck in Kent with no car. This really needs to be done by someone fairly local to them, rather than one of us who live a day or more away.

I used to work in Kent years ago. It's mostly an industrial area, but there is a shopping center with a relatively new movie theater to help pass the time ;) Hopefully someone will get down there.

My spouse drives a 2015 GTi. We put one of the hidden hitches from etrailer on it, and it works great for our bike rack. From my observation crawling under both cars, the etron appears to have the same frame rail positioning and the frame rail holes line up for the same hitch, but the heat shield for the battery is in the way of the hitch mounting directly to the frame rails on the drivers side (USA). I don't want to modify the heat shield to accommodate the hitch.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:31 pm 

Thanks, rossman, that is good information. It adds a bit more weight to my suspicion that the MK 7 Golf/GTI hitches should fir our e-trons.

Assuming—of course—that we are OK with tweaking the heat shield. I understand your unwillingness to do that, I would prefer that no mods be needed too. But my prior experiences with aftermarket hitches has been that requiring small bends or trim of a heat shield like this is not at all uncommon. Done carefully, I can probably live with that.

It's worth noting that the Ecohitch requires a modification that is not often mentioned. Since they normally mount to the body shell behind the bumper tubes, the foam pad that sits between the bumper bar and the outer cover is discarded. In my mind, that removes the support for the bumper cover and just leaves it hanging by its mounts. To me, that is a less than desirable mod. I would probably prefer trimming the heat shield to leaving out the foam pad.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:34 pm 

I had just found a shop that would modify an A3 hitch and was about to pull the trigger. After seeing the recent talk about the GTI hitches having the same hole patterns, I changed my mind and am going that route. The only GTI compatible one I could find currently on etrailer was the C11412, so that's the one I odder. would rather modify the heat shield instead of drilling holes in the frame. So, if it doesn't fit, I'll just have it modified. I was expecting to have some custom welding done anyways. I will report back with pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:02 pm 

Cool, keep us posted. That is the one I've been planning to try as well. The Draw-tite for Golf looks like it would interfere with the parking assist sensors. Looks like you are a bit ahead of me on this, I wouldn't have been ready to order for another week or so. Now I think I'll wait to hear from you how it goes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:10 pm 

c76man wrote:
I had just found a shop that would modify an A3 hitch and was about to pull the trigger. After seeing the recent talk about the GTI hitches having the same hole patterns, I changed my mind and am going that route. The only GTI compatible one I could find currently on etrailer was the C11412, so that's the one I odder. would rather modify the heat shield instead of drilling holes in the frame. So, if it doesn't fit, I'll just have it modified. I was expecting to have some custom welding done anyways. I will report back with pictures.

Cool, but just a clarification: it *looks* like the frame rail holes line up between the GTi and A3 etron, but I was just eyeballing it when crawling under both cars side-by-side. The holes might not be in perfect alignment. Either way, please let us know how it works out for you. I would be elated to have a hitch-mounted bike rack on my etron!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:13 am 

Totally understand, rossman. No one is going to hold you responsible if it doesn't fit. :D

From an engineering standpoint, the whole point of a shared, modular platform is parts interchangeability and shared tooling. I wouldn't expect any more differences in the frame rail holes between a GTI and our A3s than I would between a Golf from Wolfsburg and one from Puebla. I could be wrong on this, but I have high hopes.

My concern is actually more about the things that are not shared across the platform, like the rear bumper cover and valance. Or the park assist sensors, which caused me to rule out the Draw-tite offering, even though it looks like a better engineered hitch.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:50 pm 

I was successful with installing the GTI hitch, but there are some serious caveats.

First, the good. Frame holes are perfect as we suspected. It also clears the bumper just fine with a clean tight fit, butted right against the plastic.

Moving on to the not so good. You do have to trim the heat shield on both the passenger and driver sides. The passenger trim was minimal. The driver side required me to remove about a 2" or so square to get it to fit. I don't think that will be an issue. The exhaust is an issue, though, and that is the only part that keeps me from recommending without reservation. The clearance on the exhaust is not sufficient. On the passenger side, the hitch touches the muffler slightly. On the driver side, it looks like the clearance is probably about a 1/4" to 1/2" short. I had to bend the exhaust hanger a lot to get it to fit, but I don't think the extra 1/4" or so lower will cause any problems. The hitch is snug against the exhaust on the driver side. I had to call a friend for an extra set of hands to get the driver side exhaust back in place.

All in all, this is a viable solution for me. If it wasn't for the exhaust clearance, I would enthusiastically say this is a great solution. I think the exhaust fit is ok, and shouldn't cause any long term issues, but it is certainly not ideal. The trimming and exhaust fitting took quite a bit of time too. Definitely increases the install difficulty a lot.

Here some low quality camera phone pics.

https://i.imgur.com/WI1Rz9i.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/bDlfkGf.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/KCKyT31.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/gDh4SJX.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0IdacmF.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/PJwtHVj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/D1A57V3.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:19 pm 

Great info, thanks for being the test case. It looks to me like the primary interference with the exhaust is the two inclined side plates, is that so?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next