Charging station outdoors

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iang

Hi all,
I'm thinking about setting up a charging 'station' beside my driveway. I do not have a garage, but would like a good solution for keeping the charging cable ready to go, but out of the way.

I think ideally I will get the Bosch/Audi charging station and put some posts in beside my driveway to mount it. This way the cable doesn't run across the top of the driveway up to the house where people would walk around the cars to the back yard. I'll just have to bury a cable out to it.

My question is this, is the charging cable and station appropriate to live outside 24x7x365 in the Canadian weather? Is this secure?
Anyone have any other solutions for outdoor charging that that have set up?

Ian

Hi Ian,

I'm in the UK and had a problem with my outdoor charging station. It was originally installed for the Chevvy Volt I had for three years and had a different connector which did not fit the A3. The cost to replace it with the correct connector was prohibitive so I got an electrician to replace it with a domestic outdoor socket and I use the supplied mobile charger which I leave outside, I just have a rubber cover on the end that plugs into the car. I can just drive up, remover the rubber cover and plug-in.

Whilst the charging time will be longer than a charging station it really does not matter since mostly it's charging overnight. I rarely need the mobile charger anywhere else so I just leave it outside at home.

Obviously the weather is not as extreme here in UK but the supplied charger is supposed to be weatherproof.

Andy

Back