Future thought: Lighted charge port

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugarsmax

If there is no light, it can be tough to see the charge port. I basically have to go by feel.

Seems it would be easily enough to have a small LED light up when the grill cover is open.

I agree. Plugging the charging connector in isn't too bad in the dark but the rubber port cover can be a challenge. I've used my cell phone's light several times.

sugarsmax":35y8yuo6 said:
If there is no light, it can be tough to see the charge port. I basically have to go by feel.

Seems it would be easily enough to have a small LED light up when the grill cover is open.

I totally agree that the port should be illuminated. I believe that the US/Canada market uses a different charging connector and therefore rubber port cover also. This is not much of an issue for the European configuration as the connectors/port covers can clearly only be inserted in one orientation.

I don't mean to bring up dead threads, but this is a good one. Just bought my car, thought i'd put my 2 cents in.

Showing the car off to curious friends and family, i demonstrate the plug in, and literally the crude joke gets made every time. You just can't see the hole so you have to poke around until it fits.

How is it they provide a light over the license plate, but not like a side mounted LED or lamp? Or even a little light that is activated when you press down the plug/gun?

I feel like thats 40 cent adaptation to the charger, and there's already wiring on the front end for the immediate/delayed charging option.

The little things are what separates luxury cars from normal cars. I would hope this is one of those no brainer adaptations going forward. Maybe in an a8 etron :roll:

A light would be great, and another "whoops, we should have done that". Like preventing the car from starting when the charge door was still open (an not just with the cable attached). Like a warning on the dash that the charge door is still open (see fuel filler door open, door ajar, hatch ajar, parking break activated, etc etc etc warnings for everything else). Like protecting the charge port from rain by not allowing the car to be driven with the high voltage charge port open and exposed.

I've driven with the charge door open several times.

It must look really weird to the person in front when they look in their mirror and see the four rings off centre. Let alone the water and road dirt going into the connector. Hope I've not done any damage!

I have a warning light for this on my 2017 Prestige (US spec). It shows in much the same way as an open door would. But I couldn't agree more that a small LED light at the port would be great.

Thanks!.. good to know.. maybe I can get them to retrofit the omission on my 2016.

Yes, agreed on the light. Also, my 2017 Premium does warn me if I left the charge door open...

JR22046":29ijf70m said:
Yes, agreed on the light. Also, my 2017 Premium does warn me if I left the charge door open...

This should have been in the e-tron right from the start. I have driven many a times with the charging "zipper/fly" open!
-Ben

Yes all electrics need a light at the port. Otherwise just a black hole at night.

The sliding rings gimmick is a pretty major fail for a car that works best if plugged in after every trip. Compared to every other button and handle in the car the twist latch is a joke - half the time I can't be bothered and just dive with the rings open. Oh what I'd do for the standard fuel door used on our egolf or previous Nissan Leaf...

The light within the chargeport is a thought, but how many of us actually look inside the port when we plug in?
I find that the routine is now second nature.
As for the opening, some people like the novelty of hiding the chargeport behind the logo, some don't. I'm indifferent.
I have left the chargeport open on occasions when I 1st got the car, I have to admit. But not anymore. Again, it's a matter of routine (like most things in life).

In the slush and ice of our Canadian winter I've cursed the design of the front clip. The circular release has gotten iced up on me a few times, and a simpler more robust design it seems could have been put in place.
As for the light, I came across some motion activated led ideas that people put inside the door of the Leaf charge ports, but I think a better solution would be to attach it to the EVSE plug handle. I just haven't seen the right solution, as plugging in the dark is a challenge I find.

iAN

Back