Battery not fully charging/draining fast?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moyo

Hello,
I just bought a used '16 Etron. The car had previously had the battery replaced at 22k m at the dealership and the computer reset. When I got the car it charged to 22m... now its only charging to 20 (less than a month later).... I have a 2.5 mile commute to work (its rough)... but the battery is draining down 8m in that time.... anyone know if this is a setting issue or a battery issue and if I should be visiting the dealership about this and what steps I should request to correct this?

Is your AC use any different now compared to when you first got the e Tron? Climate control has a pretty significant impact on the electric range.

What Etronfreak69 said was my first thought as well. AC on the e-tron drains the battery rather quickly. I have a Fiat 500e as well and AC barely makes a dent. Wait until you use the heater in the winter. That is the worst offender of all.

My car has been in the shop for 3 weeks, due to sudden shortening of my EV range and the battery not fully charging (gauge showing only partial charge). This is the only problem I have had with the car after 50k US miles. Audi is at a loss. will keep you posted.

hello,

i have a 2017 a3 e-tron, and when i brought it in for the 20k service, they upgraded the charging s/w.

i was getting about 24-26 miles per charge when full, now it only goes to 20-22 miles. previously i was going from sea level to work about 15 miles and engine would just kick on (so would use the full battery basically, 8.8kW). on the way home, downhill, i would have 8 or 9 miles left (1/3 of the battery?). so i'm most definitely seeing mile degradation after 2 years.

made an appt with audi, they'll check it out next week so we'll see. i also have another friend who bought the same car a couple months after me (jan '17) and hers has the same "issue": after service and charging s/w upgrade, it appears to have about 80% reduced electric range.

any ideas?

thanks,
chris

Well, After about 3 months of being in the shop and replacing the control module, Audi decided to replace my EV battery under warranty. It would not charge all the way and I lost about 20 percent of my ev mileage. Panasonic could not explain what happened to the battery. My car had approx 48k miles when the problem surfaced.

5x112":3gf2winy said:
Well, After about 3 months of being in the shop and replacing the control module, Audi decided to replace my EV battery under warranty. It would not charge all the way and I lost about 20 percent of my ev mileage. Panasonic could not explain what happened to the battery. My car had approx 48k miles when the problem surfaced.

Dang, that sucks you went that long without your car. Did Audi comp you a loaner during that time? Also, how does it run now? I've had my 2016 just over three years and bought out the loan, so it's mine now. I've been lucky with no real issues.

5x112":2dt62dqq said:
Well, After about 3 months of being in the shop and replacing the control module, Audi decided to replace my EV battery under warranty. Panasonic could not explain what happened to the battery.

Panasonic does not make the A3 e-tron battery. From Audi USA directly----->

2017 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron Battery Pack

·         Total Ah capacity of HV Battery: 25Ah
·         Modules:  8 Modules, each with 12 cells
·         Chemistry: Not available
·         Form: Not cylindrical; No additional information available
·         Battery is produced for us by Sanyo

I also was having trouble with my 2016 etron with 41000 mi. Battery only charging to 18 mi/ 7 of 8 battery bars lighting up. Car was in the shop for over a month and the battery was replaced under the 8 year/100,000 mile warranty. They also performed the recall with the battery casing at that time. Got the car back (with 4 rolls of paper towels I had bought pre-covid in February!! yes!!) Less than 200 miles later the check engine light goes on. I took it back in and now the charging system has a fault. My 4 year/50,000 mile warranty expired in January. My Audi Advisor has reached out to Audi for a goodwill fix so crossing my fingers. I can't help but feel like the two things are related... The car has now been in the shop for 2 issues with rubbing/grinding noise in the front end, 2 recalls, 1 battery replacement, and now needing a new charging system. Love the car, hate the trouble. Tesla shopping.

ElectricRN":1gayf0ig said:
I also was having trouble with my 2016 etron with 41000 mi. Battery only charging to 18 mi/ 7 of 8 battery bars lighting up. Car was in the shop for over a month and the battery was replaced under the 8 year/100,000 mile warranty. They also performed the recall with the battery casing at that time. Got the car back (with 4 rolls of paper towels I had bought pre-covid in February!! yes!!) Less than 200 miles later the check engine light goes on. I took it back in and now the charging system has a fault. My 4 year/50,000 mile warranty expired in January. My Audi Advisor has reached out to Audi for a goodwill fix so crossing my fingers. I can't help but feel like the two things are related... The car has now been in the shop for 2 issues with rubbing/grinding noise in the front end, 2 recalls, 1 battery replacement, and now needing a new charging system. Love the car, hate the trouble. Tesla shopping.

I hope your issue was resolved. I took my 2016 with 30k miles in for the battery recall and it came back only charging 7 out of 8 bars like yours. It is back in the shop and they are trying to convince me the degradation is normal and also not related to the recall work that had just been done. I am asking them to demonstrate to me that it was not charging properly before the recall work because I'm certain that it charged fully that morning. I am also asking about the battery warranty. Did you have to lean on them to get your warranty claim approved?

I currently have a 2016 with 57K miles on the ODO. I only have 5 of 8 charge indicator lights and a claimed max EV range of 12 miles.
The car is quickly becoming unsellable. It's been great until early last year when the decline started. I got the battery case recall done and it's going downhill fast.
I don't like hearing that Audi is mostly turning their back on this issue.

My 2017, 110000km car seemed fine last summer, with a real 32 km EV range. But with the cold season, I noticed the capacity declined to a max charging session on 7/8 bars and 5.5kWh only. In the same mild winter conditions, 2 years ago, I used to get a real range of 22-23 km (heat, lights). Now, it does'nt do better than 16-17 km.

Any idea if fast charging (240V) decreases capacity more than slow charging (120V)? Could there be an issue with the charger itself?

also having issue with HV battery showing 7/8 bars at full charge and only getting 10mi of EV with all accessories off.
Has anyone had the A3 e-tron battery checked for capacity in either kWh or Ah? Dealer does not seem to know how to do this. There should be spec for new [max] and another for replacement [min]. Its rated 8.8kWh, with usable of about 7-7.7kWh. I'm guessing it should be replaced when it degrades 25% to about 5.8kWh usable.
Anyone know what the real specs are?

hunter":5u5pubb5 said:
also having issue with HV battery showing 7/8 bars at full charge and only getting 10mi of EV with all accessories off.
Has anyone had the A3 e-tron battery checked for capacity in either kWh or Ah? Dealer does not seem to know how to do this. There should be spec for new [max] and another for replacement [min]. Its rated 8.8kWh, with usable of about 7-7.7kWh. I'm guessing it should be replaced when it degrades 25% to about 5.8kWh usable.
Anyone know what the real specs are?

Just had my 2017 at the dealer for the EV battery casing recall and 50k oil change. I also have decreased EV only mileage of 11 when dashboard shows 15-16 after charge. I told the service Rep that the battery needs to be replaced under warranty. Car was in shop for 2 weeks. They did not replace the EV battery even though it was dismantled via the new battery casing being installed.

The Rep said they contacted Audi and if the dashboard shows 15mi of charge it is within spec. Of course this is not the actual EV miles. I contacted Audi USA. Interestingly, they told me that the dealers don't really call Audi. The Audi contacted about the EV is the dealer's own in-house engineering team. I will continue to pursue the battery replacement.

I am experiencing the same thing with my 2016 with 52,000 miles. GOM shows 15-17 mi with full charge. Gauge shows 7/8 bars. Actual miles: 9-10 per full charge. I took it to Gwinett Audi, they held it for a week, drove it around the block and said it was fine. They charged me for the "diagnostic" and gave me no paperwork or report. I was blown away by how bad the service was.

I have been talking to AudiUSA eTron support and they want me to take it to another dealership. I am going to try Greenville Audi, they have been super nice so far, so I am going to drive the 2 hours up there this weekend.

I found this which seems to indicate Audi knows about the problem but might not know how to fix it.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/ ... 5-0001.pdf

Has anyone figured this out yet???

Update: Brought car back in for EV battery range issue. I also brought proof via photos of dash showing it only charged to 15 miles and actual range was 11.
Car was in shop for 2 weeks loaner provided free of charge. New EV battery pack installed. Dash now charges to 28mi but actual EV miles are about 22-23. I'm a happy camper.
My advice: Just don't take no for an answer with the dealer.

Wow! Great to hear! I am going in this weekend. Fingers crossed.

What exactly did you take photos of to offer proof?

finally did get EV battery replaced in early March.
@bruuster did dealer provide capacity measurements either before or after?

Back