Scheduled charging weirdness 2018 etron

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waves

1 week owner of the e-tron here and I'm trying to figure out how to schedule the charging properly.

I'd like to schedule Monday-Friday 7pm-8am with a preconditioning of 7am to turn on the heat. I have that set up and it seems to work. The issue are the remaining days. I don't need to have a schedule on Saturday or Sunday however when I plug in the car in the charging light flashes quick green. Which indicates a schedule is set. So if I plug in Saturday morning it doesn't seem it will charge until Monday night at 7pm?
So if I have ANY repeat event set for charging say Tuesday night then the car will not charge again until the following tuesday and I'd need to set a second timer to charge for the rest of the days? This seems really odd.
Second question is when I plug-in with the green blink (timer set indication) and press the bottom button (override) it doesn't seem to start charging.
How does the override work? Should it immediately start charging when pressed? Or does the plug have to get pulled out and pressed when re plugged in?
The only thing that seems to work is if I turn off the scheduling the charging starts up.

I'm using a Chargepoint charger and the scheduling is off on that and this is a Canadian car so there is no app to use. Only MMI settings

Hello Waves
I guess the 1st thing that we need to know is what trim level you have. That will tell us if you have the MMI Plus or the base MMI.
I am in the Toronto area and my 2016 is the Technik trim with the MMI Plus which I can only speak to (I haven't seen the charging options for the other). I know with the Plus, you have 2 programming options.
I think there should be a 3rd or even a 4th timer but with only 2 I've become used to setting my charging times as per my usage. Typically the weekends I'm charging once I'm back from my errands, by pressing the bottom button.
I would suggest your primary timer be set later at night, after midnight so that the lowest cost of electricity is incurred. I set mine for 4am to 7am (it'll finish charging about 6:15am) but I have the precondition time set for 7:10 when I leave.

So far it seems that nobody, including Audi, has a clue how the various charging timers work. Let me know if you've figured it out by now! Regarding the charging timer: I suspect that the single/repeat timer and departure time relate to AC only, and the preferred charging range relates to charging only. If the Electronic AC checkbox is off, then I presume you don't have to worry about the single/repeat timer and departure time. However it makes sense to me that if you have the AC checkbox on and the departure time is near, the car will override the preferred charging time range and start charging immediately (so it can operate the AC).

On my car I have alway been able to override the timer delay by pressing the immediate charge button (the one on the bottom). The only time it hasn't worked is when the car was locked (which makes sense - you don't want people playing with the buttons when the car is charging in public). It usually works the other way too.

Then there is the separate timer for "Auxiliary AC" - yikes.

I have a 2017 prestige-plus, so it might work differently.

Back