Charger Error E480

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaspost

I have a 2016 A3 e-tron. So far I was either charging at a charge point station or with 110v. Recently I installed a 240v outlet in my garage and wanted to charge with that. Now when I plug in to the 240V outlet the charger only shows E480 error. According to the user manual this is an internal charger error.
First thing I did called up the electrician and asked him if he can check the outlet again. He check and said everything should be fine. Now I went to the Audi service and they say everything is fine with the charger and there is nothing they can do.

Anybody had similar issues with 240V charging in the US? Anybody know if there a software update for the charger?

Is it worth bothering my Audi service center further? They didn't seem to know anything about the e-tron and how charging works with it.

Hi there,

I have a Panamera S E-Hybrid (audi engine) and I have exactly the same error in my charger.

I plug it in other sockets and everything is OK but at my garage this ERROR 480 is always appearing and people from PORSCHE don't know how to fix it.

Any ideas?

In my case it is an issue with the plug itself. Somehow the pins do not have contact with the plug as expected or something. I had to slightly twist and pull the plug out for like 1/2mm and then it started working. Took me about 10 tries though to get it working but now I just don't unplug it anymore. I didn't see anything but maybe one of my pins is slightly bent or the manufacturing tolerances are just too big or something.

I also have a '16 e-tron. Although I've never seen the error I have experienced weird behaviour with my ChargePoint charger.
There are many times when the connection isn't established until I wiggle the handle a bit.
My routine now is to plug in, press the "charge now" button and see the green light pulsate. If it doesn't I wiggle the handle (just a nudge) until the indicator starts.
The truth is, I've never had the issue with my Audi supplied charging unit. But since I have the ChargePoint in my garage, I rarely use the Audi unit now.

Try charging at night and see if it does the same thing. Most of the utility companies slow down the grid at peek time to accommodate the consumer load but after peek it gets increased. The charger wants full power so if something else is on the same circuit 110 or 240 you will get an error. Independent single lines to breaker box only.

Chiparoo":1zfepu4l said:
Most of the utility companies slow down the grid at peek time to accommodate the consumer load but after peek it gets increased.

What do you mean by "slow down the grid"?

What unit of measurement is slowed down, and by how much?

Hmm i charging at my school wouldn't they have enough power to charge my car? I hope not there is something wrong with my charger :?

Phasor management unit (pmu) or synchrophasor. PMUs measure parameters like voltage and current at multiple locations across the grid and use gps technology give time stamps. Since PMUs can collect so much data they can help utility companies by shedding or shifting electricity load from and overburdened plant. Electricity consumption reaches peak in summer when air conditioners are working hard. Power plants are kept idle or not run at full capacity in order to meet spikes in demand. Don't know if this effects charging but its a theory.

Back