What is EMPTY?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11thIndian

Hey everyone, as I'm still clinging to the first tank of gas I got from the dealership. I'm pretty much exclusively using the EV engine during the week, and only the gas engine when for I do longer HWY drives.

Looking at the combined ranges as they sit now, I see 70km of gas range and 40km of EV range. A couple days ago the car started telling me I was low on gas and asking whether I wanted it to find me a nearby gas station.

My question is, is that 70km of range displayed to truly empty, or is it "empty" like the gas gauges on most cars, where there's more below it. Will I start getting more agressive notifications when the tank is getting really low?

I've never gone to empty. I've driven when it was on the last bar on the gauge. Each bar works out to be (supposedly 5 L) so I figured I would have 80 km of gas range left. I think the accuracy is pretty good, but I wouldn't want to go below 30 km of ICE use before filling up.
A few times I've gone down to about 80 km left (ICE only) and filled up just under 36 litres (remember it's only a 40L tank). If you're doing short drives and your AER is more than enough, I wouldn't worry.
How are you liking the e-tron?
Do you find your driving habits are less aggressive? [like most of us :D]
Check speakev.com to see if anyone there might've been daring enough to drive their e-trons to empty and only use the battery.

80-empty_0e6c0a00f07cbc1415456c76e4dd596e73dea52f.jpg

@hangtime10

I'm loving the car so far, though I'm still very nervous about driving something that's not a 'beater for the first time in 5 years. I actually did my first damage. I have the Sport Package, so I'm not used to the 18" rims and got a bit too close to the curb with the drivers front tire, and scraped it a bit. much better than doing damage to the body though.

After a week and a half I'm at 997km, with about 70-80km of gas range left. My average days driving is definitely falling within the 40km limit, but I am taking a bit of a hit by living right at the bottom of an escarpment that I have to go up for about half of our daily activities. If I start at 40-42kms, I'm down to 33-35km by the top of the 100m hill.

No long trips planed for the next few weeks, so I think I can keep off the gas motor almost entirely. I have the goal in mind to make it to 1200kms before refuelling. If I get there, I may aim for 1,500- but something tells me a long trip will happen before that.

@bruintoo AWESOME!

11thIndian":2wifbxoc said:
@hangtime10

I'm loving the car so far, though I'm still very nervous about driving something that's not a 'beater for the first time in 5 years. I actually did my first damage. I have the Sport Package, so I'm not used to the 18" rims and got a bit too close to the curb with the drivers front tire, and scraped it a bit. much better than doing damage to the body though.

After a week and a half I'm at 997km, with about 70-80km of gas range left. My average days driving is definitely falling within the 40km limit, but I am taking a bit of a hit by living right at the bottom of an escarpment that I have to go up for about half of our daily activities. If I start at 40-42kms, I'm down to 33-35km by the top of the 100m hill.

No long trips planed for the next few weeks, so I think I can keep off the gas motor almost entirely. I have the goal in mind to make it to 1200kms before refuelling. If I get there, I may aim for 1,500- but something tells me a long trip will happen before that.

@bruintoo AWESOME!

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the car.
Sorry to hear about the curb rash. There are places that can remove it for a cost. I had the same late last year and got it fixed when my winter tires were on. Now the summers are back on and the car looks goooood :)
Maybe on the drive up the hill you should try putting the car in Hybrid Auto or Hybrid Hold and then at the top go back to EV. See how that works for you.
I've stated before that my avg AER, on a full charge, is roughly 34 km regardless of what the GOM indicates.
Your full charge range will vary depending on your driving habits. I've had the car show me 45 km once, but mostly I'm in the 36 to 38 km range on a full charge.

andymccrory":10qxqy1q said:
I put in over 43litres last October, must be a few litres in the filling pipe above the tank!

Good to know. I've never had the need to run the car to "completely empty". Plus I have a long stretch of driving where there are no gas stations on the drive home. It just so happens that it's also about the same time I would run out of charge. So I don't like to take the chance and I'll fill up when there's 1 or 2 bars left (it would also depend on gas prices - I find Durham Region has cheaper gas in the evenings).
I don't overfill the e-tron like I did my Subie. Once the filling stops, I might go the next $1.00 or just $0.50.

11thIndian":3kfawy48 said:
Hey everyone, as I'm still clinging to the first tank of gas I got from the dealership. I'm pretty much exclusively using the EV engine during the week, and only the gas engine when for I do longer HWY drives.

Looking at the combined ranges as they sit now, I see 70km of gas range and 40km of EV range. A couple days ago the car started telling me I was low on gas and asking whether I wanted it to find me a nearby gas station.

My question is, is that 70km of range displayed to truly empty, or is it "empty" like the gas gauges on most cars, where there's more below it. Will I start getting more agressive notifications when the tank is getting really low?

I wait until the gas engine "miles left" hits 0. The car makes a really alarming sound and displays a serious warning message. At that point there is about 3/4 to 1/2 of a gallon left.

Back