Extension chord use for 110V charging

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibum

Hi All,

New to the forums and taking possession of my 2017 e iron tomorrow morning. I unfortunately do not have charging capabilities at work but there is a dedicated 110v plug 25 ft away from my spot. I have looked through forums to see if there is any extension chords that may work but from what i am hearing, it is not recommended in the manual. Does anyone have experience using an extension and if so, could they recommend a specific gauge that may work? I've read elsewhere about welder grade extension chords "NEMA 6-50 extension cords - 40 amps max charge rate" for example at around $165 can on Amazon. Any thoughts and input would be appreciated :D

Thanks!!

PLs":os6ydjce said:
Welcome to the forum skibum, I hope you enjoy your etron as much asI do mine. For the extension cord, a NEMA 6-50 connector is for 240V I believe you want a 120V solution. A previous thread (see http://www.myaudia3etron.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=310&hilit=extension) already discuss this topic, you may find an adequate answer there.

Thanks for the link! Much appreciated! I guess I'm still looking for insight into what to do for a 110V extension or if anyone has experience with using an extension chord. One day in and still learning the ins and outs! :D

skibum":12uxpq89 said:
PLs":12uxpq89 said:
Welcome to the forum skibum, I hope you enjoy your etron as much asI do mine. For the extension cord, a NEMA 6-50 connector is for 240V I believe you want a 120V solution. A previous thread (see http://www.myaudia3etron.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=310&hilit=extension) already discuss this topic, you may find an adequate answer there.

Thanks for the link! Much appreciated! I guess I'm still looking for insight into what to do for a 110V extension or if anyone has experience with using an extension chord. One day in and still learning the ins and outs! :D

We've been using a 110v extension cord since we got the car back in December. Works fine, just takes 8 hours or so to charge up from 'empty'. Just make sure to get a really thick (low gauge) extension cord and keep it as short as you can.

If you run it on a circuit with other things, be aware that you might pop the breaker if the load gets too high. Normally this is not an issue for us, but since this is on the same circuit as my outdoor outlets, running higher power items (e.g. grill lighter) tends to flip the breaker.

GoRSL":5kv3doel said:
skibum":5kv3doel said:
PLs":5kv3doel said:

We've been using a 110v extension cord since we got the car back in December. Works fine, just takes 8 hours or so to charge up from 'empty'. Just make sure to get a really thick (low gauge) extension cord and keep it as short as you can.

If you run it on a circuit with other things, be aware that you might pop the breaker if the load gets too high. Normally this is not an issue for us, but since this is on the same circuit as my outdoor outlets, running higher power items (e.g. grill lighter) tends to flip the breaker.

Thanks! I have a dedicated 110v for charging so I feel like a 10 Gauge extension may work. Max 25 ft. Will let you know what happens. Loving the car. Got to and from work last night with a 1/4 battery left. Pretty stoked!

Back