EV not available over 20 km/h or 12 mi/h

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLs

As anyone ever experienced this; my 2017 etron after more than 6000 km or 3700 miles switches to hold mode, with a full charge, when driven over 20 km/h or 12 mi/h? After the ICE warms up EV becomes available again but only under these speed. I have no warning or error displayed, and this is the first issue I ever experienced even after driving it in very cold weather here in eastern Canada.

UPDATE
This problem occurred yesterday, this morning the car exhibited the same problem as yesterday but after about 10 minutes driving I switched it to EV and it stayed in that mode. A glitch or a design feature to run the ICE after a period of not running?

PL - what's the temp when you were driving?
The e-tron will not run on EV only if the temp is -10 or colder.

PL - what's the temp when you were driving?
The e-tron will not run on EV only if the temp is -10 or colder.

According to my owner's manual (see http://www.myaudia3etron.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=311) the etron does not run, not even start if colder than -10 F for more than 48 hours consecutive. Living in eastern Canada we experienced this temperature once last winter and only for a short period, my etron being parked in a unheated garage attached to our house there is little chance that this condition will occur as it is usually warmer than outside in the garage (see http://www.myaudia3etron.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=83). Anyway, it is spring now and the temperature hovers around 32 F or higher.

I think it is more a protection against the gasoline engine not running for a long period of time..

I live in the Toronto area and although the temps haven't been frigid this year, my '16 e-tron did run on EV only for a short period of time before the computer took over and started the ICE.
My experience had the car running on EV once and awhile even if the car showed it was colder than -10 outside. Maybe there were changes to this behaviour in the '17s.
When charging at home, set the preheat so the car is warmed up when you're ready to leave (if you have that option).

Thanks hangtime10, I did use the car everyday this winter and last Friday was the first time this happened to me. Could be a difference between the 16 and 17. I do pre-warm up the cabin when it is cold outside. I've just talk to the service department at the dealership and ask them to look into it, I'll keep this tread posted if I get and answer.

Back