charger plugged in all the time?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With almost all electric cars the charger (an AC to DC inverter) is built in to the car, so the car will request "power on" from the plug. Similar to how your phone will only draw from the power source until it's done. The charger can't force the car to use electricity. On a similar topic, if you have a 50 amp charger your car will only use what it can - you can't "fry" your car with too much amperage, just the same as a 20 amp breaker can't blow up a light bulb when you turn it on :)

No problem leaving it plugged in all the time, it was designed to be left that way.
The charger (AC to DC Converter) is built into the car. The Audi supplied EVSE "charging box" is merely a control box which amongst other functions allows the user to select 50% or 100% charge and detects what type of socket the EVSE is plugged in to by means of a resistive link in the supplied input cable.
There is also an Inverter in the car to convert the High Voltage DC from the HV battery into AC to drive the electric motor as well as a DC to DC Converter to convert the DC from the HV battery into ~14VDC to charge the 12V battery.

If you unplug the charger from the wall at 240V it will revert back to the default 50% charging level the next time you plug it in. I wonder if they're trying to tell us something? Like, we're better off charging at a lower level for battery life considerations... Just wondering.

jumper":2mn182ms said:
If you unplug the charger from the wall at 240V it will revert back to the default 50% charging level the next time you plug it in. I wonder if they're trying to tell us something? Like, we're better off charging at a lower level for battery life considerations... Just wondering.

Nup, stays on 100% / 15A charge if the Audi charger remains connected to mains between car charges.

The only time it reverts back to 50% charging level is - if you change it via the menu or you unplug from the mains or the interface looses power etc.
My Etron gets charged 2 twice each day mon -fri and numerous times on the weekend. Now 12 months old no change in battery capacity.

Back