PIN NUMBER CAUSING ME TROUBLE

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellie67

Hi,
I am one week into leasing my etron and I'm having a charging issue. It seems when I plug the jlong extension plug into the car, I get an orange light. The only way I can get it to turn green and actually charge is if I unplug the the cord from the 110v socket. Then the portable charging unit turns on and then I have to put in my PIN -- then it starts charging! I just want to plug it in the car and charge it without having to unplug etc...

Spoke with my Audi service department today and they said the PIN is causing the problem and the only way to reset it is to bring the portable charger into the service department and they have a special tool to do the reset. And it's not covered under my audi care plan. So they want to charge me $185 to reset something that supposedly keeps my unit secure yet won't allow me to charge car.

Anyone have any thoughts??

I've never used the PIN for charging, or any delayed charging. I just plug it in and it charges. Note that it does start yellow, and after a second or two, turns green and starts charging. Have you made sure you've waited a moment or two?

Has it always done this, or did you try to set a PIN on the charger?

Lastly, charging you to reset the charger is B.S. Be polite, ask to speak to the service manager, and I'd think they would do this for free, especially for a new driver. If not, maybe a call to Audi US might help persuade them. Do you have other dealers in your area? If so, you'll have a little more leverage.

Let us know how it works out for you.

The manual has instructions on disabling the PIN. The only use for PIN is if you were concerned someone would pull up and start charging from your EVSE without your permission.

IAN

Back