Brake creak at low speeds

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quasitime

I've noticed the car is basically silent at low speeds (5-10mph) except for a rattle/chatter when engaging the brake softly. It almost sounds like a low creaking. Does anyone else notice this? I usually notice it when driving around parking lots of garages looking for a space.

I noticed that too. Guess it will go away with a bit more wear. If it sticks around to the 10k service, I'm going to ask about it but it doesn't really bother me yet.

Bartsimpson128":31w5leoe said:
I noticed that too. Guess it will go away with a bit more wear. If it sticks around to the 10k service, I'm going to ask about it but it doesn't really bother me yet.

Thanks for chiming in. I agree it's not bad enough to take it in unless it gets worse. One of those noises we might hear because the car is so quiet.

My car has 500 miles on it and I just felt it start this morning while in heavy traffic. Doesn't matter if I am in EV or Hybrid, it feels like the car is having an issue engaging the transmission at idle speeds (just taking my foot off the brake in traffic.) I would describe it as a bucking like in a gas only car when it is about to stall. Car actually shakes like you are traveling over a rough patch in the road.

Going to try to drive it home this afternoon. If it re-occurs, going to call the dealer.

I think what I'm describing is something different. It almost sounds like a creaky spring when you engage the break at low speeds, with low force. You can duplicate it by going 5-10mph or so and gently engaging the brake, in EV mode with no music on and the windows up.

Though what you're describing I think I've felt too. Braking and you can feel the car transition brake systems or something.

Yup, a creaky spring is exactly what mine sounds like. And yes, I figured it was the price we pay for whisper quiet operation! Im actually pleasantly surprised there are no other squeaks and rattles. I downsized from an a4 avant and the e-tron is a really well put together car.

I guess that there is a tipping point where the brake moves from regen braking to mechanical braking, this transition may not be seamless and you may notice it more at constant low speeds.

I noticed the same on my previous Chevy Volt but I guess I'm used to it now after 4 years in the Volt and 1 year in the e-tron.

Regarding the point on juddering on acceleration at low speeds, I think that is due to the electric motor having to change drive speed as the transmission gear changes. In fact it is not necessary for the transmission to change on pure EV driving (the Volt didn't even have gears) however I presume that the gear needs to be selected "correctly" in case the ICE engages.

The electric motor in the e-tron is not separate from the gas engine and outputs it's power through the s-tronic transmission.

Audi-A-3-Etron-plug-in-hybrid-drivetrain.jpg

I just got an etron, less than 300 miles and notices small rattle/chatter when gently applying brakes, under 20mph. Is this normal? Was there ever a resolution from the first poster?

Hey guys I do my normal oil change every 3k miles but after a few days of driving I check my oil and itll show low oil. I do not seem to have any signs of oil leaks. Wth is going on?

I am getting the brake creaking noise while coming to a stop as well, it almost sounds like a turkey gobbling. It is most noticeable if I have the audio and climate control fan off. If I put the car into neutral before applying the brakes the sound does not occur, leading me to believe it is related to the regenerative braking system.

Here is a link to the sound clip I took, the noise is from 4 seconds in until the end of the recording: https://voca.ro/1f5oUOIJQQcG

Has anyone had this issue resolved?

I have this same noise. I definitely notice it but it doesn’t bother me and I don’t personally think it’s worth fixing — as long as it’s not an issue with the car :?

ckayca":38zgdn54 said:
Here is a link to the sound clip I took, the noise is from 4 seconds in until the end of the recording: https://voca.ro/1f5oUOIJQQcG

Has anyone had this issue resolved?

I have the creaking squeaking noise like the original poster. I think I had this when I first bought the car used and when I brought it in for the first service they said it was the sunroof seals needed to be lubed or something. I had the creaking noise when pulling up or down a driveway curb. This solved that creaking.

But I'm having the issue with the low speed break creaking. I will ask about this next time I bring it in.

I don't have the same sound as ckayca in the sound clip.

I had a 2017 model and now have a 2018 model. They both have the creaking noise that you all have described. The 2017 creaking was somewhat loud. The noise was reduced (but not entirely eliminated) after the following service: "Found noise coming from brake booster and acuumulator - leaking. Replaced brake booster and acuumulator."

Back