Charging at 100% vs 50% and Battery Life

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumper

Now that I can charge at 240V (US) I have the option to do so at 100% or 50%, presumably about 4.5 hours on 50%. Are there any battery life improvements when using the lower charging level? My neighbor with a Tesla S says he was told by the dealer that their fast charge was useful when traveling, but there is a battery life hit for doing so.

I do wish I could change the Audi's charging level from the Etron App, and as a parameter in the car's charging timers, rather than only from the Bosch charging unit itself. In a perfect world I'd have the charging timer set to 50% on weekdays, and 100% on weekends. Given my utility's EV electric rate, I will only charge up overnight on weekdays, but I'd like to use the 100% charge to top-off on the weekends as we come and go, since the cheapest TOU electric rate applies all weekend. While I may well manually change the charger between 100 and 50% my wife will never do so.

The charger in the e-tron is only 2.5kW and the battery is much much smaller than a Tesla at about 9kWh of which only 7 is chargeable at the wall. You won't damage it or reduce the capacity by using 240v. Teslas use a higher voltage DC to directly charge the battery when using a supercharger station, rather than the onboard inverter.

srwhitney":3o2uc4rl said:
The charger in the e-tron is only 2.5kW and the battery is much much smaller than a Tesla at about 9kWh of which only 7 is chargeable at the wall. You won't damage it or reduce the capacity by using 240v. Teslas use a higher voltage DC to directly charge the battery when using a supercharger station, rather than the onboard inverter.

Its 3.3kW.. not 2.5

have tried both charge rates many times. No difference. Sometimes either one is more or less.
SOC (State of charge) is not an exact science. I do the same trip (46kms) every weekday. Same speed , same temp, same road conditions. Most of the time the EV ends at 36-39kms. Occasionally I am surprised and get an extra 3-4kms.
Remember the battery is well under utilised to preserve its life.

So I just stick with the fast charge that takes about 2hours and 15 mins

I've noticed that my charger says 50% as well since I've moved to a 240V outlet. However, it still charges in just over two hours from empty, so I don't know what the difference really is. Maybe it's future-proofing for higher capacity batteries or faster charging rates on future cars?

Back