Charger compatibility

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferster

Hello all,

So, I changed up the colour of my e Tron. No waiting for the red until April/May as my local dealership received a Monsoon Grey last week. Looking forward to getting it on March 6th.

With that said, does anyone know or has installed the following charging station.

Schneider Electric
30 Amp Indoor Electric Vehicle Charging Station 2nd Gen - Enhanced Model EV230WS
EVlink Level 2 Wall Mounted 7.2 kW Residential Indoor Charging Station.

They are available at Home Depot up here in Canada. The Audi is not listed, so concerned it won't work.

Also, anyone know if the Canadian charger that comes with the car includes both 110V and 240V plugs?

Thanks for any help!
Ferster

Hi Ferster
Congrats on joining the E-tron family :). I also have a grey one, but it's the 2016 Daytona Grey which is a slightly different shade.
The charging unit provided by Audi has a plug for both the 110v and 240v outlets. Changing between the 2 plugs at 1st is a bit tricky, but it gets a lot easier over time.
I didn't buy a charging unit (I actually got lucky and won a ChargePoint unit at an EV event in Toronto), and initially just got a 240v outlet installed in my garage. At which point I simply used the Audi unit with the 240 plug.
All the parts cost me about $100. I suppose the cost of the electricians' labour will vary.
The CP unit is really nice (would cost about $1,000) and provides the estimated cost of your charging on a daily use basis (viewable on their app).
The rebates will help with the installation of the charging unit costs.

Your car comes with a remote plug-in charger from Audi that will work with a North American standard 120V NEMA 5-15 receptacle for a 7-8 hour charge from empty. But, the Audi charger also comes with a 240V NEMA 6-50 plug that will support about a 2.25 hours charge from empty. Will these two alternatives not suffice?

Unless you have specific needs best served by the commercial charger vendors, you don't need to buy a charger. But, you may want to install a new electric circuit with a 240V NEMA 6-50R device into which to plug the Audi-supplied charger at 240V to get the faster charge times that are possible with 240V.

Thanks for the replies.

I was planning on leaving my charger at work for use there, so was planning to put a different unit at home. I have two kids who drive, so can make use of a home set up too.

One week to go and I get my hands on my car!

Ferster

30A is about 7kW at 240v, so you'll probably be fine with a 30A charger since the etron only draws about 2.5kW in rapid charge mode. You could even find a cheaper 15A model which would still be fine for charging. I'm going to get one with wifi connectivity so I can keep track of energy usage and costs that way.

srwhitney":3ega5ewr said:
30A is about 7kW at 240v, so you'll probably be fine with a 30A charger since the etron only draws about 2.5kW in rapid charge mode. You could even find a cheaper 15A model which would still be fine for charging. I'm going to get one with wifi connectivity so I can keep track of energy usage and costs that way.

Thanks for the advice. Any news on your delivery date yet?

srwhitney":1s140awx said:

Small correction.. It draws 3.3kW from a level 2 (240v) charging station...

Back