gasoline stability/freshness since I drive mostly in e-mode

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JR22046

I have about 700 miles and have only used 1/8th of a tank (my commute is 15 miles round-trip so I'm almost always in electric mode). Should I be concerned about the gasoline going stale? I know the original Chevy Volt would automatically burn the fuel after a certain period to prevent this. At this rate, I won't refuel for many months. I guess next time I need gas I'll just put in a quarter tank or so.

Don't know about keeping gas "fresh" but I've noticed that since I'm not at the gas station nearly as much, the low tire pressure idiot light comes on more than with previous vehicles.

Why? Because I'm not remembering to check the tire pressure at home :roll: and without fill ups I've lost the reminder that it needs to be done semi-regularly.

That's an interesting question, I've wondered about this as well.

My current situation is the reverse of yours. My last fill up was in late December on the return of a road trip, where I used about 3/4 of the tank. The road trip (in hybrid and battery hold) was about 250 miles. Since then we've added another 800 miles, all in EV. I don't expect to use ICE until the next road trip, probably next month when I take it to the dealer (250 miles round trip) for the 5000 mile service.

My current thoughts are that if I'm going to have gas go stale, I'd prefer that it be a small amount as is my current condition. Then fill up only when I anticipate needing to use it. That way, the small amount of stale fuel (about 2 gallons or 8 liters, currently) will be diluted by the fill up.

The reality is that it is going to take more that a few months to have a significant effect on the fuel quality, and I expect that this 2-4 month period after the holidays is probably the longest I will normally go without some sort of longer trip that will burn most of a tank. So I don't think this will be a serious issue in my case.

Seems like the Volt timer was something like a year, though. I think you'll have to wait a while before the gas goes "stale". I guess worst case is you slap it into Sport mode and go enjoy a "spirited drive" to take care of the gas. :)

Gasoline goes bad when sitting, and water will build up in the fuel tank from condensation in not-full tanks. Gasoline needs to be used.

Keep the fuel tank full and add a gasoline stabilizer like StaBil in recommended ratios if you really don't cycle through your gasoline tank every few months. StaBil is not a perpetual solution for daily car use, however, and it costs money.

I once took some old gasoline and put it in my lawnmower. In nothing flat it had stuck a valve and bent a push rod. Varnish builds up in old gas and will gum up the works and do major engine damage in a car, particularly one like ours that wants "premium" fuel.

I dare say that if you really only run in EV mode that you bought the wrong car. Regardless, burn through your tank of fuel every few months or so. Set the car to Battery Hold and let the carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxides, CO and other emissions loose, then fill-er up again, or sell it. Or, plan a trip out of town that will use up that languishing gasoline store and then refill with fresh fuel.

I've got the opposite problem; I find it hard ONLY to use EV mode. With hills and distance to town, I'm working through my gasoline stores in no time. Maybe I too bought the wrong car.

Gas tank condensation is actually not an issue, and hasn't been since the 80s and possibly before. All modern gas vehicles use a vapour recirculation system. If the tank was open to the atmosphere, gasoline vapours could get out, and water vapours could get in. The small amount of air that circulates in to your tank when you open the cap to fill up has about as much moisture as a breath of air.

More important than condensation is using good quality fuel. Only fill up from name brand stations with lots of turnover and use higher grade fuel and it will stay stable longer.

Back