NEED LONGER CABLE FOR AUDI CHARGER UNIT

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemelin

Hello,

Does anyone know where I can purchase a longer cable (the one that connects to the car). I am using the charger that comes with the Etron but it is not long enough for my situation.

Any help would be most appreciative as the Dealer is no help and I have found no solution online.

THANKS!!!

I understand that Porsche plugins use the same charger. You might inquire to,see if they offer a longer cable.

Truth be told, I just got my eTron and I'm using a heavy duty extension cord until I can get an electrician to install a 240. I know it says don't use an extension cord, but this is regular household current, no? Plus I keep checking it.

Any thoughts? I watched a video of a guy charging on You Tube and, guess what, he was using an extension.

@Lemelin, Audi manufacture two different cables for both the European and North American markets (different plugs used on front of e-tron).
From a previous post on this forum, you can see the following part numbers depending on whether you require a type 1 or type 2 (IEC) plug. Each is available in both 2500mm and 7500mm variants:

7PP971676 charging cable for vehicle TYP 2 (IEC) 2500MM
Model data: PR-E0A,E63+
72A,72C,72D,
72G,72H,72I,
72J,72L,72M,
72N,72S,72T,
72U,72V,72W,
72X

7PP971676A charging cable for vehicle TYP 2 (IEC) 7500MM
Model data: PR-E61,E62+
72A,72C,72D,
72G,72H,72I,
72J,72L,72M,
72N,72S,72T,
72U,72V,72W,
72X

7PP971676P charging cable for vehicle TYP 1 (IEC) 2500MM
Model data: PR-E0A,E63+
72B,72E,72F,
72K,72Q

7PP971676Q charging cable for vehicle TYP 1 (IEC) 7500MM
Model data: PR-E61,E62+
72B,72E,72F,
72K,72Q

Hi,
Did you ever find a longer cord that you like? I am in the same situation and having a hard time finding an answer!

Thanks!!

Ellie67":ofxeep9p said:
Hi,
Did you ever find a longer cord that you like? I am in the same situation and having a hard time finding an answer!

Thanks!!
See my post above. You can get an extension cable from Amazon.
-Ben

I use an extension for 110 charging and keep the unit locked in the back of the car. I'm not sure I would use a 220 extension.. too much power flying around in a closed hatch.

5x112":frgc0evr said:
I use an extension for 110 charging and keep the unit locked in the back of the car. I'm not sure I would use a 220 extension.. too much power flying around in a closed hatch.
The electricity won't leak out of the 240V cable and cause any faults. Said cable costs more and may well prevent closing the deck lid than does the 120V extension cord but you won't likely risk danger to life and limb from the voltage differential.

Useful thread, thanks all! Just some info on what I decided to do in case others find it helpful.

I found this site the easiest to figure out the specific OEM charger parts part numbers:
https://audi.7zap.com/en/usa/audi+a3+s3 ... -971060/#5

For the US the longer cable I was interested in was #5, 7PP-971-676-AA, 7500mm (25ft) charging cable for vehicle. According to some Porsche parts websites the list price is apparently $563.30.

After thinking about I decided to go a different way. I wanted to mount the OEM charger to the outside of my shed (don't have a garage, but shed does have power via conduit back to the house), but the cable from the charger to the car needs to be at least 15ft to get to my e-tron in my parking area. So the options I considered: $500 plus for longer OEM charge cable, $200 plus for a J1772 extension cable (ungainly/ugly) or a new EVSE charging station with a longer cable (and keeping the EOM one for travel)

I decided to get a new EVSE, there are cheaper (and more expensive, better, more future proof) ones but I ended up with a ClipperCreek LCS-20, 16 Amp Level 2 EVSE, 240V, with 25 ft cable for $379
https://store.clippercreek.com/lcs-20-l ... ng-station

As an aside ClipperCreek's "How Much Does it Cost to Charge an Electric Vehicle?" charts are pretty interesting no matter what
https://www.clippercreek.com/cost-charg ... c-vehicle/

Back