automatic curb view on passenger side mirror?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfortson

Has anyone here programmed their passenger side mirror for automatic curb view in reverse? I used the Audi tutorial that says A3's are supposed to have it, but it doesn't appear to work on mine. Has anyone else had success in doing so?

Seems to me I read that this was only possible on cars with power folding mirrors. I think...

Maybe only on Prestige?

EDIT - I looked, folding mirrors are only on the Prestige, not Premium or Plus.

jerry3561":3d5diljw said:
This function works fine by default on the original UK spec e-tron. Very useful!

So you're saying there's a chance? ;)

What this tells me is that it can probably be enabled in VAGCOM. Maybe it's time I invest in a system.

It's not 100% clear what is required to make this work as delivered. I still think they are tying it to the power folding mirrors here in the US. But a quick Googling does make it look like VCDS can enable it on cars without the power fold. I may also have to finally pony up for it, I borrowed one 6 years back for a few changes on the TDI.

The other function I really miss is the ability to CLOSE the sunroof and windows with the key fob. Audi only allows us to open them, which is fine for ventilating the car as you return to it, but I like to be able to close them all from the outside as well. The Golf would do neither until I did some VCDS magic. I'm sure I can enable the remote close on the e-tron via VCDS.

Argg! That will mean I need to build a Windows virtual machine on my laptop. Yuck. :(

While I am not familiar with the terms prestige, premium or plus, the function worked by default on the UK model (built in December 2014). There was only one UK model with any variation achieved by selecting options.

I believe that it could be achieved using VCDS as it does not use the folding function of the mirror, just the electrical adjustment of the mirror glass.

Jerry, the US market cars come in 3 trim packages, and some of the features (like this one) are disabled on the lower trim levels. All marketing, I'm sure, trying to get us to pay more for the upper trim. Other features (like the remote window closing) have been disabled on all trims here in the US for fear of liability lawsuits. We Americans in general are much too quick to sue companies for things that should be common sense, and Audi's lawyers are well aware of that.

arne":8r7enaqe said:
It's not 100% clear what is required to make this work as delivered. I still think they are tying it to the power folding mirrors here in the US. But a quick Googling does make it look like VCDS can enable it on cars without the power fold. I may also have to finally pony up for it, I borrowed one 6 years back for a few changes on the TDI.

The other function I really miss is the ability to CLOSE the sunroof and windows with the key fob. Audi only allows us to open them, which is fine for ventilating the car as you return to it, but I like to be able to close them all from the outside as well. The Golf would do neither until I did some VCDS magic. I'm sure I can enable the remote close on the e-tron via VCDS.

Argg! That will mean I need to build a Windows virtual machine on my laptop. Yuck. :(

It's possible to close all the windows and the sunroof from outside. You just need to press the little rectangle on the door handle (to lock the doors) for an extended time (an extra few seconds after it's locked) and they will auto close.

hangtime10":yykadudv said:
It's possible to close all the windows and the sunroof from outside. You just need to press the little rectangle on the door handle (to lock the doors) for an extended time (an extra few seconds after it's locked) and they will auto close.
True. But I'd like to be able to do it from the key fob as well. That will apparently require a coding change.

arne, I nominate you to figure out the codes. :)

I considered getting this when I first got my JSW 5 years ago, but never did. Just checked Ross Tech and looks like the price has gone up. Not sure how badly I want curb tilt mirrors.

I'm thrilled to join this discussion about enabling the automatic curb view function on the passenger side mirror. I cannot safely back my A3 e-tron Premium Plus out of my very tight garage without manually tilting down the passenger mirror to see the rear wheel and the side of the garage opening. On several occasions I have forgotten to tilt the mirror back up when I drive away. This has resulted in dangerous situations when I'm in traffic, need to change lanes and then find the passenger mirror aimed at the ground. I've contacted Audi Technical Support and had the car in to two different Audi Service Centers and they all tell me NO A3 e-trons (including the Prestige trim with power folding mirrors) have the automatic curb tilt feature. Also, they said no 2017 e-trons will have this feature. That's ridiculous. My previous car, a 2000 BMW 328i, had this feature. The salesman who sold me the e-tron claimed it had this feature because his older A3 has it. I'm frustrated with the prospect of having to keep manually tilting the mirror down and not forgetting to tilt it back up for the duration of owning this car. The rear view parking assist is of no help because my garage is so tight that it just constantly squawks at me.

I really need to enable this feature in my car for safety's sake. Wondering what VCDS or VAGCOM is and how it can help solve this problem. I'm new to the Audi world and am very disappointed that their customer service and management have given up on helping solve this problem.

VCDS (formerly known as VAGCOM) is a third party terminal tool that allows you to edit the various coding in the central management computers. It includes a custom interface cable, and talks via an application that runs on Windows. It gives access to many options that the dealers here in the USA can't change, due to liability or other issues.

As examples, using VCDS on my 2010 Golf, I turned off the DRLs, the seatbelt warning, activated the windows via key remote and other bits that VWs lawyers don't allow.

Looks like some are claiming that it is possible to enable mirror dipping on newer A3 cars. See a beginning list of options at http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... ation-list

I didn't buy one last time, I borrowed one from a semi-local enthusiast instead. May do that again this time, I'm not sure if the cost is worth it for a very occasional change. On the other hand, it looks like you need VCDS to,change the rear brake pads, and who knows what all else. So it might still be something I decide to get.

Arne, thanks for explaining what VCDS is.

I found this thread about mirror dipping in the Ross-Tech forum:
http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread. ... l-position)

The discussion seems to imply that there should be a way to use the VCDS system to enable the mirror dip function in an A3 e-tron, but clearly it's much too technical for me to do myself. Any ideas how to find somebody in the San Francisco area that could help me accomplish this mod?

Well, I couldn't justify the cost for the VCDS given that I just want to tweak a few things. I ordered the ODBeleven for $60. It uses your Android device (no iphone support) and bluetooth to change these things. There's a thread on VW Vortex about it and it seems to do the common tweaks that most of us want. It's still to be seen whether or not this function can be enabled on the e-tron. I'm gambling $60 and some time to find out.

The device is coming from Europe so it will be a few weeks before I get it.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... ven-tweeks

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... -in-the-US

Please keep us posted on your thoughts once you get it, rfortson. I'd probably already have ordered one if it wasn't android. I'm not keen on having to buy a dedicated android tablet to run this on, seems wasteful to me. But if it will do the things I'd like VCDS to do, I may have to consider that.

My 2000 Jetta VR6 did this. I had a friend with access to a VAG-COM tool before. I was able to have him program my 2006 Audi A3 so that I can control the windows and moonroof to close with the key fob.
-Ben

arne":3o1moazs said:
Please keep us posted on your thoughts once you get it, rfortson. I'd probably already have ordered one if it wasn't android. I'm not keen on having to buy a dedicated android tablet to run this on, seems wasteful to me. But if it will do the things I'd like VCDS to do, I may have to consider that.

I hear ya, but seems like a lot of people got it working with a Kindle Fire, which you can get for $40. Still a lot cheaper than VCDS, which you have to use via a laptop.

Apparently there's some technical (hardware) reason it isn't offered on iphones. It's not just iphone rage. ;)

Oh, and I got my shipping notice today from Amazon. Said to expect delivery by Nov 4. I think they're putting it on the next steamer out of Latvia.

Hi rfortson or other forum members,

Any luck with getting the automatic curb view feature enabled on an A3 etron yet?

Thanks,
drmarko

Back