Sudden loss of EV Range following safety recall

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDFWJ21

I have an Audi A3 S-Line Sportback 40 TFSI e. I've leased it from new March 1st 2021.
I took my car into the nearest High Voltage Audi Center (Audi Exeter) for the recent safety recall relating to not having enough sand in one of the fuses leading to possible fire.
I took it in on 28th November 2022 & that morning I charged it up and had a range of 38 miles.
I drive a 17 mile round trip, twice daily, through mainly 30mph & 40mph speed limits so, I get an excellent range in just EV mode.
I left my car there as the work was supposed to take 2 days.

I checked on the app before I left that the vehicle was charged only to find that at 100% charge the range was only 28 miles. I rang the garage and they said they would check it whilst I was travelling. When I got there I was given a techno spiel about cold weather shortening the range by upto 30% and as the battery had née de-energised and re-energised that the car had lost my driving style. I was told I had to take the vehicle as in their opinion there was nothing wrong with it. The best I could get was that once I'd driven the vehicle for 2 weeks the range would return. The customer services manager agreed that if in a fortnight it was not back to normal he would send someone with loan vehicle and take mine back in and fix it.

2 weeks later on 14th December I rang up and emailed explaining that nothing had changed and I was only getting 27 to 29 miles on the EV Range. Audi Exeter refused to honour the agreement and it took many phone calls to Audi UK (who rang Audi Exeter but were ignored through December and January) and eventually at the end of January an email to the Head of Marshalls Motor Group owners of Audi Exeter before they would look at it.

They eventually collected the vehicle on 31st January 2023 - 2 months (not 2 weeks) after the fault started. Thy have had the vehicle for a whole week and rang me earlier to say their computers say there is nothing wrong with it. It's loss of range is due the the vehicles age and the cold weather. No one is listening to the fact that there was no great difference in the temperature from 28th to 30th November or that I had the vehicle through last winter so I know how much range is lost in winter minths

SO HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD A SUDDEN LOSS IN THE REPORTED EV RANGE FOR ANY REASON OR FOLLOWING THE SAFETY RECALL.

ALSO CAN YOU ALL PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YEAR YOUR HYBRID IS AND WHAT RANGE YOU GET ON 100% CHARGE IN THE SUMMER AND WINTER.

I GET 37 TO 40 MILES ON A FULL CHARGE IN THE SUMMER, ON A TYPICAL OVERNIGHT CHARGE IN THE WINTER 34 TO 36 MILES AND ON REALLY COLD DAYS SUB 0 DOWN TO - 10°C I WOULD TYPICALLY GET 33 OR 34 MILES AND OCCASIONALLY 31 OR 32 ON THE COLDEST DAYS. I'VE NEVER HAD A RANGE IN THE 20S FROM A 100% CHARGE EVER......

APPARENTLY IF THERE ARE 5 IF US WITH THIS FAUKT AUDI WILL TAKE IT SERIOUSLY - UNTIL THEN THEY REFUSE TO DO ANYTHING TO CORRECT THE FAUKT ON MY VEHICLE.

AUDI SAY THE EV/E-TRON VEHICLES CAN LOSE UP TO 30% RANGE IN THE WINTER AND AUDI EXETER KEEP QUOTING THIS. HOWEVER THAT ADVICE ALSO SAYS THAT EXTRA USE OF THE THE CLIMATE CONTROL, HEATED SEATS, MIRRORS & REAR WINDSCREEN, ADDITIONAL USAGE OF THE LIGHTS ARE THE MAJOR CONTRIBUTORS TO THIS LOST RANGE. MANY INDEPENDENT REPORT SAY UP TO 8% LOSS OF RANGE CAN BE ATTRIBUTED TO THE COLD EFFECTS ON THE BATTERY. 8% of 38 miles is only 3. 04 miles dropping my range to 35 miles not 28 miles. This is also consistent with my experiences last winter.

Many thanks for reading this and even greater thanks if you can reply.

Richard in Devon.

Back