Anyone seen this?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suesetron

The green blinking charging light never stops blinking on my 2017 A3 etron. It used to shut off when charging was complete, now it seems to be blinking even when I am fully charged.

Mine started doing the same thing. When I use charge point at work, I can see how much current it draws. It never stops drawing current. The amount is low but it doesn't shut off. For example a full charge for me is about 6kW. After i get my notice that its full and done charging, the green light still pulses as if its still charging. I let it sit this way for a couple more hours and it draws .7 to.9 more kW. But no extra range. I think the dealer needs to look at this.

The charger (which is build inside the car) should inform the EVSE (Electric Vehicle Service Equipment - the part outside the vehicle, often incorrectly called the charger) when it is completely charged (via the pilot pin on the J1772 connector).

It is unlikely the pilot pin does not make a good connection, because in that case the charging would not start at all. So it may be an issue with the charger in the car not detecting or communicating the battery is fully charged, or it may be an issue with the EVSE.

It may be helpful to charge the car at a public charging station and check if it does or does not shut off (goes to solid green light). If it does work as expected in the public charging station, it likely is an issue with your/the home EVSE. If it does not shut off in the public station, the problem likely is in the on the car side.

If the problem was resolved, please share what was the issue.

More information on J1772 charging details:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772 (also contains J1772 circuit diagram)
https://openev.freshdesk.com/support/so ... -sae-j1772

Hi all, I started encountering this same issue in December 2019. Took it to Audi, two long visits (total of 16+ days) split over 2 appointments. I have a 2017 Technik, A3 e-tron, took possession in January 2017 (I'm in Vancouver, BC, Canada). Here's what they came up with so far which is still unacceptable to me.

- They tried an extended road test and overnight testing
- They couldn't figure out the issue and had to escalate to techline in Germany eventually.
- The battery has degraded a little over time (94-95% capacity). Not surprising.
- Battery is not reaching 100% anymore so the car continues to charge. They said "it may draw a little power, but it should use full charge".
- Direct quote that they consider a resolution: "It passes requirements and no further action at this time is required"

I'm continuing to press as I don't find this acceptable. I have another EV (5 year old Nissan Leaf) and as I'm sure with other people, many other electronic devices that indicate when charging is complete even when a degraded battery is full. Seems like a few of you are seeing this as well so I would take it back to Audi, share this information and perhaps we can get a more acceptable fix.

Hey everyone-

I just specifically to post about this issue.

I too have experienced the same exact issue you stated you are having. I'm located in California and I have a 2017 a3 e-tron that blinks green constantly and my miles are stuck at 22 with 5 minutes to go, only it never ever fully charges. This occurred out of the blue about a couple months ago.

I escalated this to Audi service multiple times and finally they responded today that this will be fixed with a software update...They will reach out when that comes out and I will have to bring in my vehicle again.

It seems odd to me that this issue happened over night and is not being fixed via software.

Anywho, I hope this helps.

Hello All,

I have this exact same issue with my 2017 Premium Plus A3 etron; stuck at 22 miles with five (5) minutes remaining indefinitely. I’ve tried charging with my home Level 2 Charger as well as the Audi Charger with the same issue. The wrinkle I have with this in addition to others input is that mine happened a couple days after I had my 50K service done at the dealership. Just wondering of any other folks had this pop up after a service visit?

Regards...

Hello All,

Just wanted to see if anyone is still seeing this issues. I don’t want to jinx myself but, I have not had this issue for over a month now. The only difference is that I’m using the Audi charger via 110V household current since I’m in temp housing with no 220 outlet to plug my Level 2 charger into. It just stopped happening one day and has not reoccured.

Just wanted to see if others had it “magically disappear” or get further info from Audi.

Thanks!

After the main charging session, the car probably starts to level-up the battery cells.
This uses very little energy, and shouldn't take too much time

but it's a normal behaviour, all EVs do it.

So the green light still blinks because the car draws SOME power.

If it won't stop, I would check individual cell voltages

Ours (2017 Premium) does the same, but it is 15 minutes left to charge. I have unplug and waited several minutes and then plug back in. It usually stops charging and says 0 minutes. Same mile either way. I have also let it stayed plugged in all night (all 240 volts) and still 15 minutes, some times 5 minutes, and rarely 0 minutes. I took it to the dealer and they could not fix and said was not a problem. Not happy.

I have a CPO and it’s behaved this way since purchase. Did not realize it was not normal.

Hi there,

I joined at the behest of my wife whose 2018 A3 is doing this same thing. We have asked Audi to look at it and they claim there is nothing wrong. Hers started by saying 5 minutes left, then moved up to 10 minutes left, now it's at 15.

Often it will reach this level in less than the normal 2 hours on a level two charger when charging from empty.

If this is a common problem it seems like there should be a TSB on it or something. I may try the level 1 charging to see if that helps bring it to full charge.

Hi all,
this started happening on my 2017 at least 8 months ago was when I first noticed it. Don't have any resolution or input from the dealer.. I haven't seen any negative impact on my range.

I've also experienced this on my 2017. Dealer did mention that there's a update that should fix this and they will notify me when its available, think that was sometime Q3 last year. Still no word on the update when I asked about it during my oil change last month.

Same here: 2017 Premium. Does it both with the Audi and with Siemens Level 2 charger. I had a service recently but did not pay attention f it was before or after that service. I agree with a previous post that it hovers between 15 and 0 minutes to full charge, but never gets there.

No impact on range here.

Our 2017 had been doing this for over a year. We got the recall update on the software. It corrected this problem. But we are still not getting a full charge. Takes 1.5 hrs to "fully" charge.

Back