Audi A3 Hybrid mode sometimes doesn't work

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheezy2

Good day,

I have an Audi A3 Sportback TFSI e – it is a hybrid car, and it is my first hybrid car.

I experience two scenarios with the car, one of which happens every day, and every time I start the car and switch to intelligent hybrid mode. I would really appreciate your advice on whether this is something normal, or if it is something that could need repairing, or if it’s simply a setting somewhere?

1) When I first drive the car, if I’m in full electric mode the car is fine. It will stay on electric mode. However, if I switch to Intelligent hybrid mode, for the first 10 minutes of the drive I get a symbol on my dashboard with – it’s the EV symbol with a slash through it (see first image). The engine kick starts, but I find the whole mode very odd. It uses electric, but the rate at which it is consuming petrol is as though it’s just on pure petrol mode. So I’m left in this scenario where my battery is draining, but I’m getting absolutely no benefit what so ever. It lasts for 10 minutes, and then suddenly the EV symbol will go off and I’ll get the hybrid mode symbol. Any suggestions? Today for example, I drove 8 miles, it used 8 miles of battery yet I had 55mpg. When on Hybrid mode, I can get up to 100mpg.

I read somewhere that it could be because the car is heating up. But that doesn’t make sense to me because if I’m on full electric mode, it works, it’s just on Hybrid mode when this happens.

2) This happens much more rarely, but sometimes I will be driving and I will click for full electric mode and it won’t go in to it. It goes to a greyed out EV symbol (without a slash through it like above) – basically the usual EV symbol, but not in green. It doesn’t happen that often, but I wondered if anyone knew what it might mean? Please see second image below.

Thanks in advance,
Matthew

0cf0L75D2T8SO3IyjLsAgyOXQ

005iNBDthQeCOAZPBV365j85g

1. You are correct in your thinking; when the Gas motor kicks On for the first time, EV mode is locked out so the Emissions systems, etc can get up to temp and evaporate moisture in the Gas motor.

Back