Battery Life expectancy?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubtron3030

I am at 42,000 miles and the battery only charges to 24 miles. It is winter here in the Appalachian Mountains so from reading other's post that may be part of it but I feel it hasn't charged much highre for the last 2 years. I am leasing with 15,000 miles per year allowed and have the option to purchase. I am on the fence about returning the car or buying. My biggest concern is how long the battery should last? I am curious how much charge it will hold at let's say 135,000 miles? or 160,000 miles... And how much a replacement would be. The dealership has no answers other than they said they think the battery has a 4 year warranty. But that it wouldn't be replaced unless the car failed a performance test. Then they told me that the battery charge didn't really have anything to do with a performance test. Any suggestions or links. Also wondering who other that the dealership can work on the car if it has issues... Curious what everyone thinks....

The battery charging to 24 miles is an estimate based on the battery capacity and the recent driving style.

All batteries will degrade in capacity, the big questions are by how much? and over what period of time.

As we know, the range from a full battery varies depending on weather conditions, assuming drive style and route are the same. I have the feeling that my e-tron's range has dropped about 5 miles over the 50,000 miles I have had it, I have not measured that but I drive the same regular commute and I know that I am using the ICE more often than I was when the car was new.

On top of that, the e-tron is listed with a 31 mile range (in UK) but I have never even got 30 miles in ideal conditions.
My previous Chevvy Volt was listed with a 52 mile range and I got 53 miles or more on several occasions.

If you're hung up on range, I would not recommend the e-tron. But if you only need, say 10 miles per trip it should be fine for several years to come.

When my car was new I could add 6.8kW when the battery was empty. 2 years and 20000 miles it only adds 6kW. Using chargepoint.

My 2016 used to show a range between 42 and 44 Km. Now, at 41000Km, it shows 36 to 38. More disturbing is that the indicated range is dropping much faster. A recent test on most flat roads with the heater and air off showed a drop from 37 to 16Km when I drove 17.4Km. I recently had it in for service and they said the battery passed their 1st test but failed the second. They kept the car for 2 days while they consulted Audi and then ran additional tests. They concluded it was acceptable but they didn't drive it so I don't know what tests they actually did. I am now documenting my driving distances and the indicated range so that I can go back to Audi with questions on what they consider acceptable.

Well my 2016 model used to get 38km actual range (42km estimated) when new. 38000KM and 3.5 Years later I get 27KM estimated and 25KM actual range if I am lucky. I have had the full battery test done overnight (@ 3yr service) at the dealer and they said it passed as acceptable but I should check again at the 4Yr service... Hmmm. My understanding (from this and other forums) is that the battery warranty doesn't activate until the battery drops below 75% of electrical capacity (6.8Kwh down to 5.8 Kwh usable storage?) but I cant get anyone at my local dealer to confirm the terms of the warranty or the actual capacity of my battery after the test. It must be so close to 75% as 38KM X 75% = 28.5KM but they always say range is dependent on driving style and environmental conditions so it must just be me with my heavy foot again... Just wish I had access to a charge point that gave KWH readings so I could test it.

I have a 2017 with 37K miles. I saw a recent drop from 24mi to 21mi for a full charge. However, according to my warranty, the battery is covered for 8 years or 100K miles. So you all have plenty of time to get free replacement if necessary.

Also have 2017, currently with 26K. In the 2 months I've had it, I find the fully charged miles vary anywhere from 29 to 24. This morning when I left for work it was at 29, right now it is fully charged at 26. It's also 95 degrees here right now.

I know this is an older thread but I thought I'd chime in. My 2016 has around 52000 miles and for actual real world range I am down probably 10% from when it was new. Meaning, when fully charged, how far on a known route I can drive in EV mode at normal speeds then and now. When new, I was getting actual driving distance of 20-24 miles (depending on which routes, meaning which terrain -- flat or hilly etc). I am still in that range but tend to be on the lower end -- maybe 18-22. Driving to my kids' school and back the motor comes on about 1-3 miles sooner. Depending on temperature, etc. I drive with a light foot most of the time, force regeneration to stop instead of foot brake to avoid brake pad wear [switch from D to manual mode but don't shift manual -- just flipping to the right will get you in manual regeneration mode]. I coast down hills etc.

If I am really light footed and it is warm out, I can still drive the 22+ miles to [the big] Costco on battery with the first part of the journey in hilly terrain and most of it at faster speeds.

I am interested to see how fast capacity drops from here on out. So far pleased with it.

I ignore the "distance" estimates the computer gives. Totally useless as they ignore the road conditions in front of me -- are based only on the road conditions behind me.

I have also had a decrease in EV driving range and expected this would happen.

Has anybody else on this thread also experienced a decrease in performance (i.e. with increased age, the battery/EV mode is unable to power up a hill or accelerate at highway speeds, which it used to accomplish without problem)?

Per my post in another thread, I can't keep my etron in EV mode, it repeatedly flips into ICE/hold battery mode.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1057

I have a 2016 with 56K miles. I have seen in the last year/ year and a half a serious decline in the battery life.
First off, the battery indicator light (8 bars) only shows 6 at most/full charge.
I drop another bar within the first quarter mile. By mile 2 I'm now down to 4. Yes it's cold out now and yes the headlights are on and yes the heat is on (very low) but this is a monumental change from not long ago.
My usual quick 12 mile commute in the early morning hours was not a problem for the EV, now I'm lucky to get 6 miles before the gas comes on.
At this rate I fear the battery will be rendered useless except for summer in short order.

I like the car, but think about selling it before anything else starts to go.
Early adopter woes I guess.

Back