Audi A3 E-tron Forum

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Battery Life expectancy?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:28 am 

I am at 42,000 miles and the battery only charges to 24 miles. It is winter here in the Appalachian Mountains so from reading other's post that may be part of it but I feel it hasn't charged much highre for the last 2 years. I am leasing with 15,000 miles per year allowed and have the option to purchase. I am on the fence about returning the car or buying. My biggest concern is how long the battery should last? I am curious how much charge it will hold at let's say 135,000 miles? or 160,000 miles... And how much a replacement would be. The dealership has no answers other than they said they think the battery has a 4 year warranty. But that it wouldn't be replaced unless the car failed a performance test. Then they told me that the battery charge didn't really have anything to do with a performance test. Any suggestions or links. Also wondering who other that the dealership can work on the car if it has issues... Curious what everyone thinks....

Post subject: Re: Battery Life expectancy?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:22 am 

The battery charging to 24 miles is an estimate based on the battery capacity and the recent driving style.

All batteries will degrade in capacity, the big questions are by how much? and over what period of time.

As we know, the range from a full battery varies depending on weather conditions, assuming drive style and route are the same. I have the feeling that my e-tron's range has dropped about 5 miles over the 50,000 miles I have had it, I have not measured that but I drive the same regular commute and I know that I am using the ICE more often than I was when the car was new.

On top of that, the e-tron is listed with a 31 mile range (in UK) but I have never even got 30 miles in ideal conditions.
My previous Chevvy Volt was listed with a 52 mile range and I got 53 miles or more on several occasions.

If you're hung up on range, I would not recommend the e-tron. But if you only need, say 10 miles per trip it should be fine for several years to come.

Post subject: Re: Battery Life expectancy?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:03 am 

When my car was new I could add 6.8kW when the battery was empty. 2 years and 20000 miles it only adds 6kW. Using chargepoint.