2017 major tire issues

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bloodrush":32rn1t5w said:
I brought this to Audi's attention, suggesting that it is a defective tire and they refused to provide any assistance!
Rightfully so. Speaking from 20+ years experience selling and servicing tires, that damage is always caused by some sort of impact, pinching the sidewall of the tire between the rim and whatever was the cause of the impact (pothole, curb, etc.). Not a defect of any kind.

I just thought I'd let you all know...

2015 E-tron, one puncture about 12 months ago. Puncture in Sep 17, both front inside walls failed Nov 17 (front tracking issue?) and another puncture Dec 17.

That's 5 tyre replacements in 2 years! Thankfully all covered under the lease but very inconvenient.

The tyre repair kit is a joke, recovery needed every time.

I wanted Pirelli on my Technik,with premium upgrades.Glad I didn't get them.The factory gave me non run flat Continental ,where I asked for the 17" to gain slightly better range. I picked up a nail over the summer,and it took "Audi" roadside 4 hours to get me.By the time I got home, I had spent 5 hours. The northeast has been in an arctic freeze right now,I would not want Audi's roadside if their best effort's leaving owners over 3 hours in dangerous temperatures.

Pot holes, uneven pavement, I haven't blown a 17" Continental tire to date.I did switch out my stock turbine wheels which may have helped with blowouts if vulnerable.

Snow tires, I do have 17" Pirelli ice zero,and they're excellent in snow.Passed a X5 needing a push the other day in the same snowy parking lot,they may have had seasonals ;) Very icey roads, along with very low temps. [~9F/-13C],the A3 etron does slip,traction control goes nuts when accelerating in hybrid mode = doesn't handle well.

Long time lurker here.

2017 e-tron owner with sport/18" wheel package / Pirelli P7 OEM tires.

15k total miles;
Approx 7k miles on the OEM 18" rims - 5 blowouts or massive sidewall bubbles
Approx 8k miles on my winter wheels - 17" rims with Blizzaks - 0 blowouts/problems.

On the 18's I can't seem to drive over any crack or small to moderate sized pothole without blowing out. Has anyone had success with AoA and wheel replacements? Other thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Back