Odd charging issue that went away...

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 499

Hi guys,

First post, and it's about an FGC issue :D

Car is 16 days old, and after my first week, I filled it up to get a number for the article I'm writing on it. 0.64 l/100km, mostly running it on battery, so I'm happy!

One week ago I had a ChargePoint Home 32a Level 2 installed, and a full charge of the e-tron is 2¼ hours on it. My usual routine is to plug-in the car coming from work, then un-plug it after an evening walk 3 hrs later.

Thursday moring, trip computer shows 4km of range as I leave for work :?: ChargePoint app later revealed the car took no juice, so I'm figuring I did not click the plug right, or there was a "handshake" issue.

I get to work with a depleted battery, and plug the EVSE on the same 120V outlet I always use. It was a long day, got in at 7:15 and left at 6:30 pm. Car shows 11km of range instead of a full 36-43 km. :eek:

Back to my home charger in the evening, and it filled up as usual. This is good, but strange at the same time.

This being a base Canadian Progressiv, there are no charge timer or any charge info available through the car, except for range indicator, and no Audi app because of the base-model MMI.

Anybody had this happen to them? I did read the reliability thread, and it seems that those of you who had charging issues needed to replace parts, hence I get that the issues did not go away on their own.

Next time you plug in to charge, check to see if the indicator is "pulsating". If not, press the bottom button and see if it starts the charge.
I have had issues with my ChargePoint unit at times. I need to give the connector a little wiggle to make sure it's properly connected.
I should tell you that I haven't had any issues with the Audi unit though. So there could be a problem, but try what I wrote and see if that works.
Good luck.

This may not be what happened to you but I've found that the charging scheduler for ChargePoint and the one from Audi conflict with each other with an end result of no power transferred. My fix was to set ChargePoint so it is always active. In other words, I let the car decide when to start a charge session.

The points that hangtime10 raised are valid no matter where you are charging.

estrong":49yesuk0 said:
This may not be what happened to you but I've found that the charging scheduler for ChargePoint and the one from Audi conflict with each other with an end result of no power transferred. My fix was to set ChargePoint so it is always active. In other words, I let the car decide when to start a charge session.

The points that hangtime10 raised are valid no matter where you are charging.

No scheduler available on the car (don't know what the button up front can do, if anything, with a base Progressiv), and no schedules set on the ChargePoint since power is at the same rate all day - 7 cents per kWh in Quebec.

hangtime10":3jxhng7q said:
Next time you plug in to charge, check to see if the indicator is "pulsating". If not, press the bottom button and see if it starts the charge.
I have had issues with my ChargePoint unit at times. I need to give the connector a little wiggle to make sure it's properly connected.
I should tell you that I haven't had any issues with the Audi unit though. So there could be a problem, but try what I wrote and see if that works.
Good luck.

Thanks! I will make sure to check for the green light. That doesn't explain why it barely charged at work though...

No explanation for the lack of full charge at work (are you sure someone didn't "borrow" the charger for a bit?), but I did plug it in one night and the next day it was still empty. I chalked it up to user error, and now I always wait to see a green, pulsing charging light before I walk away. Never happened again.

Did the issue ever go away? Was the dealership able to diagnose your car once your drove it more than 16 days :?:

I ask because I am the one who posted EV mode unavailable during warm/cold temperature,with fully charged battery. This issue has remained despite the hardware repairs,and [same version] software re-installs on the car. Adding charge battery mode unavailable by itself,or in conjunction with EV mode being unavailable after about year one of ownership. To date , no fix.

Within a year of owning my car, I also had the charging issue you experienced where my car only charged to a maximum: 8km /4.97miles , or 16km /9.94 miles. Other times, I was sitting in the car,and charging would stop in front of my eyes.I would unplug,and plugin,and the car would start charging,but not always.This situation would sometimes trigger an amber light,red indicator instead of the green.When I charge,the green light is pulsing,and I didn't need to set the timer given how I charged.One situation involved L1 charging,and the other at a public L2 chargers from a variety of manufacturers.

Back