Waze and Google Maps on CarPlay

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbiejoe

If you are fortunate enough to have CarPlay on your car you might want to try these navigation apps that are newly available on iOS 12. I’ve always liked Waze for its creative ways of finding shortcuts in busy traffic. It will update the route on the fly as the situation changes. I used to put the phone on a magnetic mount and squint at the screen. Now it’s on the big screen and easy to see and follow. One nice feature is that the map zooms in as you slow down in case you want to see corners and distances more clearly. Then as you speed up it zooms out.

My wife prefers Google Maps because their shortcuts are not so radical, e.g. they won’t dump you onto a busy intersection with no stop sign or light to help you get through. However, it doesn’t show the current speed limit on the map as do Waze and even Apple Maps. Google Maps’ labeling of streets on the map is excellent, however.

Both integrate well with the control wheel for the screen and they both support voice commands to dictate your destination. You have to plug in your phone for CarPlay to work, which is a pain vs just slapping it on a magnetic wireless car mount. However, once plugged, it charges and you don’t need to mount it. I just stick it in the cup holder and don’t look at it any more. I don’t use the magnetic mount much anymore.

I also notice that Siri works much better with CarPlay activated. I use it to dictate and read text messages. Much safer. Anyway, congrats to Audi. Apple and Google for working together so well on this.

I just bought my 2018 etron last week and have used WAZE on apple carplay 6 times so far and it has frozen and crashed 3 of those times.
Hoping they put out an app update soon.

Back