Default drive mode

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFkjeld

As you know, the default drive mode for an eTron is EV. When you turn on the car, you are in EV mode if you have enough battery to support it. Any way to change it?

We take several long trips a year. So we make stops along the way. We like to preserve the battery for city driving and not waste it on a freeway. If in EV mode and you enter a freeway, your battery will be gone in just minutes.

I’d prefer the default to be whatever mode I am in when I shut off the car. Otherwise, I’d rather it be the Battery Hold every time I start the car.

Thoughts?

What is most important is that you arrive at a charging opportunity with zero miles left in the battery, unless your short trip only used EV of course.

Everything before that will depend on your driving style, terrain and emission control zones. You will need to set the driving mode to optimise the battery capacity accordingly.

For me, my main commute can be done just about all on battery so I would want the default to be EV.
Since something like 80% of all journeys are less than 30miles I guess Audi have set the e-tron up that way.

It would be nice if Audi let you choose the default though.

andymccrory":3fyt1fel said:
What is most important is that you arrive at a charging opportunity with zero miles left in the battery, unless your short trip only used EV of course.

Everything before that will depend on your driving style, terrain and emission control zones. You will need to set the driving mode to optimise the battery capacity accordingly.

For me, my main commute can be done just about all on battery so I would want the default to be EV.
Since something like 80% of all journeys are less than 30miles I guess Audi have set the e-tron up that way.

It would be nice if Audi let you choose the default though.

Yes, that is what my wife said. Since she mostly does errands in a given day, she would rather the default be EV. My argument is that if she forgets to pick EV, she just runs on gasoline for a few miles. But when we are on a road trip and forget just one time to pick ‘battery hold’, the battery goes to zero, minutes after a freeway on ramp. So we are without battery until we can get a charge again.

I just dropped the car at the dealership for it’s 20k maintenance. Asked them about this and got a blank look. I wonder if there is an aftermarket tool to access the car’s computer like there are for other marques.

Back