Driving with No Battery Charge - What Mode?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moyo

Hello,
I have '16 etron... wondering if anyone knows what the best or preferred mode i should be using when Im driving and my battery is depleted and I have no hope of charging it soon... should I be using hybrid mode? Hold mode? Charge mode (which isnt efficient, I know...)... I feel like the car will yell at me either way, but not sure which way is the smartest battery wise. Any ideas?

Here's my experience and practices I've been using on my 2017.

If you're going for a drive you know will be beyond your EV range, put the car in hybrid mode off the bat. That way the gas engine will kick in when it's most efficient to do so, including above approx 85 kph. You'll basically get your best possible mpg. When your battery is dead in this mode, it will stay dead.

On the other hand if you leave the car in EV mode and go for a longer drive, the car will then flip to battery hold mode, and start to regen the battery once dead -if travelling at high speed. The icon on your dash will show that the battery receives as well as provides power. In my experience the car will charge the battery up to approx. half way, assuming you are doing highway speeds.
This may make sense to for fuel efficiency, assuming you will be in town after your highway drive, and driving in EV mode at the end of your drive will be more efficient than ICE at low speeds.

Ian

Back