Poor Battery Range - Help!

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steiler

I purchased my 2016 etron used last February 2017. When I first purchased the vehicle I seemed to be getting an actually battery range of about 15 Miles in regular city driving in Washington DC. I am generally driving an average 25 mph with some lights and stop signs, but not excessive bumper to bumper traffic. I thought this was low, but accepted this as the norm.

I recently took my car into Audi service for a software recall update. After the update I started noticing my battery depleting much more quickly, so I started to monitor it again, just like after I bought the car. It is now getting between 8.5 and 10 Miles to the Battery.

I took it back to the dealer twice and they are telling me everything is working normal. They even say they test drive it and got a 15 mike range on a more suburban road 40-50mph average with still some lights. I’m not sure I believe them and would expect that condition to get more like a 20 mile range at any rate.

So my question is has anyone else experienced this issue and if so how was it corrected. I have a call into Audi corporate, but I’m guessing they will give me the same line the dealer is saying. Help! This is very frustrating. Let me know any feedback. Please!

AER is affected by many things with temperature being the biggest factor that a driver can't control. What was the temp on your drive?
Also, did you have the heat running? How are you driving? Hard acceleration drains the battery pretty quick (sad really 'cause it's a lot of fun).
From my drives in my MY 16 e-tron, I get on avg 34 km in the summer but on cold days I'm lucky to see 18 km.
Pre-heat is a good way to get the most AER on those cold days.
When I can't pre-heat, I drive in Hybrid Auto mode and then manually switch between Auto and Battery only depending on conditions.

I had a similar result here in Houston. Had it serviced/updated software and my battery range went down. Just happened to coincide with a cold snap here. Sure enough, once the temp went back to our normal, the battery range returned to normal.

I'd say wait and see what happens when it warms up.

Pre-heat is a good way to get the most AER on those cold days.

This may be a stupid question, but how do you pre-heat? Is that by using the e-tron app? (Just got my 2017 e-tron last week so I'm still figuring stuff out).

Thanks!

-D

Pre-heating made a huge difference in effective range for me. It is easiest to set it up via the etron app (not the MMI one). From the app you choose Etron, and then A/C. There you can set up a warm up based on a future departure date/time, or you can simply turn on the AC (you do this by touching the button/bar that says “Auxiliary climate control on”). Note that if you are plugged in on 110 charging, it won’t be able to do much. Once I installed a 220 plug to plug-in my Audi charger it started working great. It takes a lot of current to heat a whole cabin interior. You can also set this up from inside the car, although I have never tried that.

So, with the cabin nice and warm inside, you can pull away and then turn off the A/C by pressing the fan speed button in the middle. This not only turns off A/C, it also changes the range displayed on the dashboard. It’s interesting to view the change in range with the AC on or off. Occasionally, I turn on the defroster, but mostly just go with my coat and gloves.

I am looking forward to Spring, although so far Spring in Chicago has been February weather — highs in the 30s and lows in the 20’s.

Back