A3 etron vs BMW X1 and regular A3

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbiejoe

Having driven the etron for about two weeks i find it better than the loaner A3 I was driving before picking up the etron, and better than the 2014 BMW X1 that I used to drive.

The difference with the regular A3 surprised me. The cars were the same trim level, but the Etron drives much better. As I saw in most reviews, the low-centered extra weight of the battery gives it a nice stable, settled ride. It handles bumps better and is very smooth -- better than the X1. The steering is also better. I use the dynamic setting which is sportier to me. The previous generation X1 was the last BMW to offer hydraulic steering. That steering was great, but the Etron is equally great in my opinion.

The immediate power of the Etron is much smoother than the turbo lag of the X1 or the A3. For some reason, even in Battery Hold mode, I don't notice hesitation with the Etron. The transmission shifts much more smoothly than the A3 and similarly to the X1's smooth 8-speed. Around town, the Etron accelerates better in city traffic. My one freeway on ramp experience was not as powerful as the X1's 2 liter engine, but I haven't been hitting the ICE too hard in the break in period. Maybe if I mash it hard enough... I'll try that after break in.

The interior space of the Etron is nice. Rear passengers have more leg room than the previous generation X1 (though not as much as the current generation). The Etron is five inches shorter than the X1 and that appears to all come out of the rear storage area. I lost about a third of the space I had in the X1 and 8 foot items will no longer fit in the car.

Overall, it's a beautiful and enjoyable way to help out the environment. At home, we have opted for all-renewable sources for our electric power, so the part of our electric bill that goes for the power (vs the distribution, billing, etc.) all goes to renewables -- wind, hydro, or solar. It's feels good to make at least a small contribution toward a big problem.

Sounds like you're enjoying your e-tron.
Although I haven't driven an X1, I can say that the e-tron has pretty good 'giddy-up' when you push the accelerator to the floor.
I was annoyed by a Volvo driver one time getting onto the highway (he was slowly getting up to highway speeds) and when I safely had the opportunity I passed him. In a few seconds I went from 60 kmh to over 150 kmh :eek: :oops: (the car was very stable) in a very short time. I immediately slowed down to legal speeds. But it was so much fun!! :lol:

Back