Using the Etron to supply the house during a power outage

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emerx

Is this possible? with my old 04 Prius, I hooked up a 1000 watt inverter to the 12 volt battery. This gave me enough AC 120 volt power to run our refrigerator or microwave during power outages. This worked great because as the 12 volt battery ran down, the big traction battery charged it back up, and when the traction battery ran low, the engine started automatically and charged the traction battery back up. Once charged, the engine would shut itself off. it could run for days like this.

This was relatively simple to wire up and leave permanently installed as the 12 volt batter was in the trunk, and I didn't have to deal with high voltage wiring.

Will the etron work in a similar manner, charging the 12 volt battery from the big 8.8 KW battery? is there a better way to accomplish this.

I realize that once the 8.8 battery runs down, the car won't automatically start and charge it back up. I'd have to monitor it and run the engine in charge battery mode.
the prius battery would only run the car for 1 mile, but with the etron I can run 16 miles on a charge, so I imagine it would last a lot longer on one charge.

thanks,

Bob

Great idea. Give it a try and report back. Otherwise, I've got 35 gallons of gas in my boat for emergencies and a portable generator to get me by. But assuming the car happens to be charged up before the outage, I'm in, but only if it won't toast the car's electrics. Let us know.

Also, what model microwave do you have that a 1kW inverter supports? I'd like put one in my fifth wheel in place of the one that my 2kW generator will barely start with all other loads turned off. Residential building codes require a 20A circuit dedicated to the microwave. That's 1920 watts at an 80 percent loading.

Back