Check engine light, gas tank door broken, and gas leak

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smiles33

UGH! So my check engine light came on 2 days ago and when I called my dealership, they are more than 1 month out with appointments because of some recall. My 2017 A3 etron has 14,000 miles and up until 2 days ago, was doing great.

This morning I go to gas up and the door won't open. The error message says I must manually open it (I was inside the car when pulling on the lever, so yes, doors were unlocked). I manually open it with the trunk release but can't get more than 20 cents of gas in (about .2 gallon). Of course, as soon as I lift the nozzle out to see if it wasn't seated properly, gas spills out everywhere. I reversed the car to another filling station to see if it's a faulty nozzle but the same thing happened!

I have a 60 mile round-trip commute. I have about 40 miles' worth of gas left so if I go home, I can't get back to work. Waiting for the dealership to open so I can call and beg for an earlier appt.

Anyone else had this experience before?

I'm not close to my car or owner's manual right now, but I seem to recall that if you open the fuel door manually, you also have to manually vent the tank before filling. I think the process for that is also in the manual.

I presume the check engine light is related to the gas tank issue, but I don't know what prompted it as I haven't filled the tank in over 2 weeks. The light only came on 2 days ago.

I'm not near my car either but in my scan of the manual this morning, I didn't see anything about venting the tank. I wasn't able to talk to a service adviser when I called, just the scheduler who told me to drop the car off by 4 pm if I wanted to talk with one of them. They said they can't even look at it until tomorrow but I don't dare try my luck getting the car 90 miles back and forth from home with only a "27" mile range on the electric motor.

The latest update is that the dealership doesn't know what's wrong. The service advisor had not heard of this problem when I dropped it off yesterday. I called today and they still don't know.

In the meantime, they lent me a 2018 A3 sedan with the sports package and it's fun to drive! I just miss my carpool stickers.

Update: they found the problem. Mice nested in my car's rear quarter panel and chewed through wiring and damaged an evaporative tank. So $1100 later, I'll get my car back after they special order some parts. Ugh.

Back