Switching to smaller wheels for ride comfort

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faldo

What do you think?

My priority is ride comfort, and with 18 inch wheels on UK roads at the recommended 41 PSI it is a bit bone rattling at times, even though they are not run flats.

I'm considering backing down to 16 inch with Conti eco sport tyres but wonder if I am going to have warranty issues (it's a newly bought used car with 1 year dealer warranty) or if anyone here has experience here of doing something like this?

Many thanks.

My car has the 17" wheel package, inflation is 37 psi. I don't think the ride is bad, but the 18" might be too much for rough roads. I also have 16" winter tires, the ride may be a touch better, but it is not a huge difference over the 17". Again, the difference in dropping from 18" to 16" may be more significant.

I can't imagine what warranty issues would ensue given that 16" wheels with 205/55-16 tires is not just approved by Audi, but is the standard fitment.

Would be ideal if you could find someone who drives a Mk5 or newer Golf or A3 who has 16" that you might be able to bolt on the car as a test.

arne":1cl1dji2 said:
My car has the 17" wheel package, inflation is 37 psi. I don't think the ride is bad, but the 18" might be too much for rough roads. I also have 16" winter tires, the ride may be a touch better, but it is not a huge difference over the 17". Again, the difference in dropping from 18" to 16" may be more significant.

I can't imagine what warranty issues would ensue given that 16" wheels with 205/55-16 tires is not just approved by Audi, but is the standard fitment.

Would be ideal if you could find someone who drives a Mk5 or newer Golf or A3 who has 16" that you might be able to bolt on the car as a test.

Thanks for coming back to me.

I've just been spoiled for ride comfort, previously I had an A6 all road on air suspension and 16's - the thing was like a magic carpet. I'll try to get over it and maybe just nudge the pressures down a bit.

Back