A/C shuts off when driver leaves

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BentheRed

Hi, a 'feature' I noticed is that if the driver gets out of the car then the car shuts off and the A/C no longer works. This is a pain for my wife if I nip out to go in a shop and she stays with the car. Obviously with a gas car you could just leave it running. Is there a work around for this?
Thanks
Ben

From what you're saying it sounds like you're taking the keys with you when you leave the car. The car will shut down when the drivers side door is opened. If your wife restarts the car (she'll need the key fob) when you leave she can listen to the radio and have the A/C on. I don't know of any ICE car that has keyless start that'll keep running if the key is away from the car.

But you have to have your foot on the brake to "start" the car and get A/C. Most passengers can't do that. A simple "start" button press just gets the car into ACC - no A/C.

Alternative: As the driver, open the door with the car "running." Then, when it shuts off by itself, "restart" it with the door open, the key in the cup-holder, and your foot on the brake. Exit right quick leaving your passenger in cool bliss with the key still in that cup-holder.

Actually, with the car running, place your foot on the brake and then open the door. The car will stay running. Leave the key in the car and you can go about your business outside.

Back