Passenger airbag sensor sensitivity?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asa3

I’ve never had a car that I could easily fool into thinking that someone was sitting in the passenger seat, but I just noticed that the A3 is freaking out with nothing more than an iPad sitting there. While I drive, I keep getting “Passenger airbag on” and “Passenger airbag off” chimes in the cluster, which is super annoying. If I take the iPad off, it immediately resolves itself.

Has anyone else noticed this? If the sensor is defective, I’ll take it in, but I won’t bother if that’s just how it’s designed.

Yeah, the sensors are pretty sensitive. I've placed a couple of things that couldn't weigh more than 3 lbs and the car activates the airbag.
It could still be a flaw. I'm in for my 40,000 km service tomorrow, so I'll ask.

Update:
Asked the service manager this morning and he stated that the seats are sensitive. He has an A4 and it happens to him also.

On another note, I had the lumbar support for the passenger seat checked and it requires a new motor. Not sure what happened or when it failed. But I suggest that owners test the power adjustments out periodically. The lumbar moves forward and back but not up and down. So check all directions.

hangtime10":1pjmd37v said:
Yeah, the sensors are pretty sensitive. I've placed a couple of things that couldn't weigh more than 3 lbs and the car activates the airbag.
It could still be a flaw. I'm in for my 40,000 km service tomorrow, so I'll ask.

Update:
Asked the service manager this morning and he stated that the seats are sensitive. He has an A4 and it happens to him also.

On another note, I had the lumbar support for the passenger seat checked and it requires a new motor. Not sure what happened or when it failed. But I suggest that owners test the power adjustments out periodically. The lumbar moves forward and back but not up and down. So check all directions.

Huh, interesting... thanks for the update.

Latest posts

Back