Battery Question

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PDG67

Hi, all:

Just found this forum earlier this week, and after lurking for a few days decided to join. :D

I am not yet an A3 e-tron owner, but likely will be before the end of the year (keeping an eye out for a pre-owned 2016 PP+Tech). This car will be my wife's daily driver (replacing a 2004 A4 1.8T Quattro sedan that she LOVES but recognizes will need to be retired soon). Going hybrid or EV with the next vehicle is important to us (and we've had great ownership experiences with Audis and VWs in the past), so the A3 e-tron would seem to fit the bill nicely. Her daily commute is six miles to a Park & Ride lot in the morning, then another six miles back at the end of the day, over mostly flat rural Midwestern terrain (we live in eastern Wisconsin). Otherwise the car would just be used for weekend local runarounds, and the rare road trip out of state. So, we're looking at almost exclusively EV operation with this car, which we're excited about.

Now to my question:

Does the e-tron suffer any noticeable battery drain when parked and uncharged for several hours? As described above, my wife will likely use roughly half the battery charge getting to the Park & Ride lot, then the car will sit unplugged for 8-9 hours. Will the car maintain its remaining charge enough that she can get back home in EV mode without kicking in the ICE?

Thanks!

There should be no significant loss of charge during that time. Ours has shown no loss on partial charge while sitting for several days, so 8-9 hours is nothing.

Additionally, if the terrain is fairly level, 6 miles will probably not be half the charge. My experience has been that range on level terrain is closer to 20 miles. Your wife should have no problems commuting both ways on a single charge per day.

Hello PDG67 and welcome.

I have had my 2017 e-Tron since February and drive every day to work. I leave home at 6 am and drive back around 4 pm. My commute is around 18 kms one way with the return journey up a steep mountainside for about 4 kms in BC, Canada.

So the car sits for a little longer than the time you mentioned. I get to and from work on a single charge without any issues. In the five months I have had the car, I have seen no degradation.

Regards
Ferster

I have been working out of state (M-F) and my car sits in the driveway all week. Pretty much for three months straight it has only been driven on the weekends. I noticed no charge degradation. When I start it up , the battery reads the same as when I charged it the week before.

Back