Potential etron buyer

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Questions

I drive 190miles each way to work, twice a week.

Its all highway and average speed is 75-80 mph.

Questions

1. Can the etron make the round trip without having to refill? 380miles total at 80mph.

2. What is the average mpg at 80mph during a 190 mile stretch?

3. In sixth gear what is the rpm at 80 mph?

4. What are your impressions of the etron as primarily a highway cruiser?

Thanks in advance.

1.) Maybe. It has a smallish tank. At 80 mph I'm thinking you would be pushing it. If you always start your trip with a full charge and let it exhaust it during the trip to get better mileage, that may be enough. If you can also fully charge it at work for the return trip too, you should probably make it back on one tank.

2.) At a guess, I'd say mid-30s. I don't drive that fast, freeway traffic around here is more like 70-75.

3.) Don't know, in addition to not driving that fast, I don't turn on the tach normally.

4.) Frankly, your situation is not a particularly good match for the e-tron technology. If you are needing an efficient highway car, you would be better served with a traditional hybrid. The e-tron is best for short commutes and errands on electric, with the gas motor for occasional longer trips.

I recently drove 1,100+ km (660+ mi) and averaged roughly 5.5 liters/100 km. That's with only being able to change a handful of times.
I probably covered 900 or so km on the highway, I was driving about 110 km/h (70 mph), with only one 40 minute charge for the entire highway drive.
It's not a bad long distance car IMO, and if that suits your needs/requirements for an overall DD I'd say go for it.
But there are other options out there and I would suggest you take your time and see which best suits what you need.

I'd say 37-38 mpg with 10.6 gallon tank. So say 370 miles gas only to be conservative. Plus another 10-15 miles with each charge. But using the heater and lots of hills would be a problem - and in general would kinda stressful if really no gas stations around. But otherwise a great highway car.

Thank you to the original poster and the others that have contributed to this thread. As a potential (waiting for delivery) it is helpful to hear current experiences.

From my perspective- if you really want to get a lot of benefit out of an e-tron, then a majority of your day to day driving needs to fall within the 45km/22mi range.

Driving since May, I can basically subsist the EV mode 90% of the time for my daily driving, unless a bunch of small trips pile up. Kid to school/camps/sports, grocery store, gym, dog to the park, to my parents. I pretty much deplete the battery every day- sure I wish there was another 10-20kms available to me but I'm ok pretty much every day of the week.

The only time I lean on the gas engine is trips into Toronto for work meetings (once a month), or up to my in-laws (on average once every 2-3 months).

Under these conditions, my first tank lasted 1200kms, second tank 1600kms, third tank 1200kms. I'm on my 4th tank now, with 600kms on the odometer, and over half a tank on the gas gauge.

But if a substantive part of your driving is longer, then you might not get the astonishing gas savings out of this car that some report. But I'm very happy.

I really wanted to be into an EV, and this scratches that itch until I can get a pure electric in 2-3 years time.

Back