Public charger etiquette

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BentheRed

Hi, I've had my 2017 etron for 6 months now and I exclusively charge on my home 220v system in my garage - partly because I'm not sure of the etiquette:)

1) I've read about how it's not cool to unplug someone when their charge is done, but my local airport (Austin, TX) has charging points in the airport parking. How would that work? I'd feel a jerk hogging a charge spot for a 2 hr charge when I'm gone for 3 days!
2) Has anyone experienced hassle from EV owners for taking a charging spot for a PHEV?
3) if the charger says $4 for 2 hrs for example, is it pro-rated if you only take a 30 min charge?
4) Are there any charger types that etron owners need to avoid? Any of the Tesler supercharge ones for example?

Thanks!

Welcome to the club! I have also owned my A3 about 8 months, so I'm not that much more experienced. However, I do charge at public chargers occasionally when they're free. I'd rather just use the gas up when it costs $2/hour to charge.

1) I haven't seen chargers at my local airports yet, but in most public places with chargers, there's often a sign with restrictions (e.g., 3 hours maximum and you must be actively charging). This is particularly true when it's in a high-demand area (which I presume an airport would be).

2) No, I have not been hassled for charging my A3 and I hope I never do. The majority are still EVs (lots of Nissan Leafs, Teslas, etc.) in my area but no one has ever said anything to me re: my PHEV. I am very careful to move it before the 3 hour time limit and usually only charge 1 hour or so at public chargers. I do the bulk of my charging at home on my 220, too.

3) Yes, the fee is pro-rated (at least the Chargepoint chargers are). When I've had to leave before it's fully charged, I've paid less. We have a charging station near a local Target where the first hour is free and then charging starts. So sometimes I pay a under $1 for a fraction of the second hour.

4) I don't think we have to avoid any chargers, but I also don't think we're able to access Tesla chargers (I haven't tried as I thought those were limited to Tesla owners).

Generally, you would not be able to unplug another driver's cable because the cable is locked in place, both for security of charging and security of the cable itself.

Whilst it is good to get opportunistic charges it's not going to take you far.

Here in the UK the public charging network is a mess of different membership fees and high costs per charge.
I have tried using them when I had a Chevvy Volt from 2012 to 2016 but often it was more hassle than it was worth. Sometimes you do get premium parking spots though :)

I charge my e-tron at home and also at work 25 miles away so usually don't use the ICE on my regular daily commute. I do long trips every so often for work and privately so I use a tank or two each month. I don't stress over public charging anymore.

BentheRed":2pt9w62a said:
Hi, I've had my 2017 etron for 6 months now and I exclusively charge on my home 220v system in my garage - partly because I'm not sure of the etiquette:)

1) I've read about how it's not cool to unplug someone when their charge is done, but my local airport (Austin, TX) has charging points in the airport parking. How would that work? I'd feel a jerk hogging a charge spot for a 2 hr charge when I'm gone for 3 days!
2) Has anyone experienced hassle from EV owners for taking a charging spot for a PHEV?
3) if the charger says $4 for 2 hrs for example, is it pro-rated if you only take a 30 min charge?
4) Are there any charger types that etron owners need to avoid? Any of the Tesler supercharge ones for example?

Thanks!

1) Disagree completely. It is up to the owner of the EV to disconnect their vehicle when its done charging. The connector is available to everyone, touch it all you want (just make absolutely sure they are done charging; every car is different). Ive actually unplugged many cars and come back hours later and the other car is still there. People park there all day and dont care. I printed a bunch of notes and keep them in the glove box (see below).

2) nope

3) They charge you for the time you are plugged it. UNLESS you are charged per kwh. Then it stops billing when fully charged.

4) ?

My note:

"Your vehicles charging light indicated that your car was done charging. The light on the charger was also off. My apologies if you feel that your car was tampered with, however I did not touch the car itself. I feel that it is perfectly normal to unplug a vehicle when it is done charging (search plugincars.com EV etiquette).
If you disagree with this etiquette, I sincerely apologize. Otherwise, thank you for supporting the electric car movement and have a great day."

I also have a "please plug my car in when you are done" note.

Well, here in Houston, despite seeing lots of EVs around here, I've never run into a problem charging. There aren't that many public places to charge around my wider neighborhood.

One restaurant I frequent has a charging station and I use it just because I can. Costs a dollar or two. The other one is a free charging station at the outlet mall. I use it whenever I'm there and there has yet to be another car there.

BTW, I'm pretty sure charging cables don't lock in the US (per regulation). However, if you lock your e-tron then you can't open the 4 rings charging cover.

Back