How does lane assist work?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffn31l

I have a 2016 Etron Prestige with adaptive cruise, there is a system setting for lane assist vibrate which I have turned on. My understanding is the car should just automatically keep itself in the lane if I'm going over 38mph, but I don't think that's happening, is there something else I have to do? I'm not too keen to swerve into another's lane to test it out, but I did try slightly drifting and nothing happened. I got the car fully loaded, and I see on the 2016 highlights for the US version on Audi's website that it does include lane assist so not sure where to go from here.

On the 2017 you have to press the button on the end of the turn signal stock. That will invoke two lines on either side of the adaptive cruise control icon if you're at the right speed and the road is well enough marked for the Audi to "see" the lanes.

On your 2016, if you don't have the digital cockpit, I think it's a separate icon.

Yes, on the 2016 it is a separate indicator at the bottom centre of the dash.

You activate it by pressing the button at the end of the left stalk and the indicator will light yellow until it finds the lane when it then turns green.

In operation, if you drift too far towards the lane line marker it will "nudge" you back towards the centre. You can change the setting of this to be "early" or "late" in the car settings menu.

Be aware though - it does not "nudge" you if you have the turn indicator on and the "nudge" is only slight so you can override it easily and it won't take you around a corner. It is just enough for you to feel that it is there.
Also - if it detects that you are not steering, it will give you a visual and audible warning and will then go from green to yellow i.e pause, until it knows you are steering and detects the lane again.

For a vehicle that doesn't advertise as having any measure of "auto pilot", I'm pretty impressed at what the combination of ACC and Lane assist can do on the HWY in my limited testing. I've seen videos of people spoofing the steering wheel sensor by putting a water bottle in between the wheel arms. This is interesting, but I wouldn't trust it in any measurable way. The ACC is the real fatigue saver in stop and go traffic, especially with me coming from a manual.

11thIndian":3ga0xc40 said:
For a vehicle that doesn't advertise as having any measure of "auto pilot", I'm pretty impressed at what the combination of ACC and Lane assist can do on the HWY in my limited testing. I've seen videos of people spoofing the steering wheel sensor by putting a water bottle in between the wheel arms. This is interesting, but I wouldn't trust it in any measurable way. The ACC is the real fatigue saver in stop and go traffic, especially with me coming from a manual.

I use a snack baggie half full of pennies and put it on the steering wheel when I want to spoof the lane assist. Generally speaking, this feature is useless during the day on a normal OC/LA freeway. At night, the car does a little better. At least it works to the point where I can lean back a little and listen to music (still keeping one hand lightly touching the wheel)

However, I used this "hack" on the way back from Mammoth and I drove about 100 miles only having to intervene when the lane breaks up into a right hand turn. Now THAT was awesome.

Back