Is this a good "future proof" home charger?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrich73

Hello, new to forum, getting delivery of my 2016 a3 e-tron tomorrow (got a great deal!). Anyway I am looking at different charging solutions and decided on a Chargepoint 32a hardwired. This should charge the A3 in about an hour, right? Thanks!

wrich73":34c0d3gw said:
Hello, new to forum, getting delivery of my 2016 a3 e-tron tomorrow (got a great deal!). Anyway I am looking at different charging solutions and decided on a Chargepoint 32a hardwired. This should charge the A3 in about an hour, right? Thanks!

It will still charge the A3 e-tron in 2 to 2.5 hours.

That's the same one I bought and had installed. Happy with it. Picked the 32A hardwired one (as opposed to Chargepoint's 16A) because (1) I could get a 25ft cord; (2) more future proof in that whatever my next EV is, it will likely have a faster take rate that the A3; and (3) a pretty insignificant $ difference between the two (especially with structure of my local utility's rebate). But as bruintoo said, it won't charge your car any faster.

Egress":2hwdxqpx said:
That's the same one I bought and had installed. Happy with it. Picked the 32A hardwired one (as opposed to Chargepoint's 16A) because (1) I could get a 25ft cord; (2) more future proof in that whatever my next EV is, it will likely have a faster take rate that the A3; and (3) a pretty insignificant $ difference between the two (especially with structure of my local utility's rebate). But as bruintoo said, it won't charge your car any faster.

Awesome, thanks for the information!

I have the 32 amp Chargepoint and got it via a "pilot" they're doing with my utility, so I will eventually get a $400 rebate. Not all utilities are participating, though. See https://www.chargepoint.com/products/ho ... ncentives/ Sadly, we missed the tax credit that expired in 2016.

Note that they also mentioned on their Facebook page that they're offering 10% off in honor of Earth Day.

I just put in a 40A, 240V circuit. I figure any car with a plug I get in the future should be able to use this. I mounted the charger that came with my etron on the wall. I didn't see the need to buy something else.

Back