Range and mpg

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OwDeEtron

I filled up yesterday and was surprised that the new range on gasoline is now 415 miles. Previous fill up 390. The fill up before that, 380. I only have 3300 miles, and i am assuming this is all about breaking in the engine.

The last time I bought gas before yesterday was January 10th. I drove 1544 miles and purchased 8.1 gallons which calculates to almost 190 mpg. That figure is not a true picture, but it's fun.

Interesting thing, yesterday was the first time I plugged in to one of my regular free merchant EVSE's and returned to find no charge had occurred. Them's the breaks, they say. Now if my utility company will install my net meter, I'll be in business at home. The system was inspected successfully yesterday. I've watched the meter go backwards, but without the net meter it's a gift to the utility.

Best wishes.

190 mpg? Best I've done so far for a tank is 140 mpg. :)

To get a "true" picture, I look at the cost of my electricity and figure out how much it takes to fully charge. Then I estimate the number of full charges in a week, spread that over the life of the tank and that's my electricity charge. I then figure out how much gasoline that would have bought me and add those "electric gallons" to the actual gallons I burned and then I get my equivalent mpg. I've done it a couple of times and I come up to around 53 mpg. Once gas goes up in price, that value will get better.

I found a document from Entergy that says that for April 2017, the cost of 1000 kWh is $89.46. That's less than I've been calculating.

I asked for my "Energy Smart Scorecard" and was very surprised by the response. According to them, an efficient house used 238 kWh, an average house used 437 and my house used 692. Surprise! I've always been Scrooge when it comes to utility bills but I am retired and spend more time at home. I suppose the car takes me from average to ... 692. I have no idea how much electricity the car consumes, but it must be at least 200 kwh a month. When the software for the solar edge inverter starts working, I may have a better idea what's going on. Should be very soon.

@OwDeEtron - assuming you are in the northern hemisphere, your mileage (both computed on the Guess-O-Meter and real) will increase as the spring weather warms up over the coming weeks.

@rfortson - my best "tank" to date was 232 mpg. (8.814 US gallons for 2052 total miles on the tank). Converting the KWh to gas/petrol and plugging those numbers in (454 KWh= ~13.5 US gallons), it comes out closer to 92 combined mpge.

I find the whole equivalent MPG is a little silly. It is important to remember that energy is coming from either the battery or the fuel tank, there is no magic here. Audi does a good job to let you see the electrical energy efficiency in kWh/100 km on top of gas energy efficiency in L/100 km. Where I live the electrical supply is very clean (60% nuclear, 30% hydro, 10% wind, biofuel, solar, natural gas) so my usage of the grid for transportation energy is cheaper than petroleum energy but more importantly to me it is much less polluting. In any case, the e-tron is a fuel efficient car and is still very zippy with good Audi handling. It feels like a really high tech machine to be sure.

Yeah, it's silly to say I get 190 mpg because I know it's not true. I think I'm more impressed that I just rolled over to 70% electricity vs 30% gas. I drove 700 miles home from Tulsa when I first bought the car so it ought to continue to increase.

My net meter is installed so I'm in business with solar. The electricity we get from the grid is cleaner here than average for the U.S. We use more hydro, less coal and much more gas. Wish it was zero coal and more renewables.

Greetings to the Canadians. I have some Canadian relatives.

Eh, I don't see it as silly. I want to know what I actually pay to power my car. YMMV, as they say.

Latest posts

Back